Author Topic: Rusty cylinders  (Read 6456 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Da Londo

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 287
  • Karma: 0
  • It's not the carb size that matters, it's the jet
    • Fiat 126 blog
  • Location: Maasmechelen, Belgium
Rusty cylinders
« on: January 17, 2015, 08:12:46 PM »
I have very rusty cylinders, do I need to do something about it?

Gadge

  • Subscribers
  • Super Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1353
  • Karma: 15
  • Location: Warwickshire
Re: Rusty cylinders
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 09:12:48 PM »
No it's fine just give it a rub with a wire brush
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Bar Vitelli

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1612
  • Karma: 16
  • Location: Halifax
Re: Rusty cylinders
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 09:17:08 PM »
I always wondered what Dave's second name was....
Every cloud has one...

Da Londo

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 287
  • Karma: 0
  • It's not the carb size that matters, it's the jet
    • Fiat 126 blog
  • Location: Maasmechelen, Belgium
Re: Rusty cylinders
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 09:22:36 PM »
Tnx Gadge, next question, I removed the cylinders of the top of the pistons, is it possible to get it back on like this? Broke the 3rd piston ring trying to.

Gadge

  • Subscribers
  • Super Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1353
  • Karma: 15
  • Location: Warwickshire
Re: Rusty cylinders
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 11:20:38 PM »
I don't understand? Do you mean is it possible to re-fit the Pistons from the top of the cylinder?
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Da Londo

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 287
  • Karma: 0
  • It's not the carb size that matters, it's the jet
    • Fiat 126 blog
  • Location: Maasmechelen, Belgium
Re: Rusty cylinders
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 11:36:53 PM »
No, I mean to refit the cylinders over the pistons. From top to bottom. Or do I need to take the whole engine apart so I can use a piston ring tool to fit the pistons in the cylinders and then fit it to the engine.

stuey

  • Subscribers
  • Super Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1409
  • Karma: 14
  • Location: kings lynn
Re: Rusty cylinders
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 08:43:29 AM »
when I did my beetle engine I used a motorcycle piston ring compressor it allows you to put barrels on with the pistons in situ like this-

http://www.uktools.com/product_info.php?products_id=606



 (this one is quite expensive but you can get cheaper ones...)
one resprayed and another arrives- double trouble BIS style!!

Gadge

  • Subscribers
  • Super Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1353
  • Karma: 15
  • Location: Warwickshire
Re: Rusty cylinders
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 09:47:44 AM »
Ahh I see. It's probably best to remove the Pistons then fit the barrels on then slide the pistons down through the top of the cylinders :) I only say this as this is the way I was taught and you don't want to ruin a piston ring.
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Pete126

  • Administrator
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3369
  • Karma: 35
  • Location: West Yorkshire
Re: Rusty cylinders
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 11:02:18 AM »
If you don't have a piston ring compressor, use a straight tin can and a jubilee clip ;D
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Da Londo

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 287
  • Karma: 0
  • It's not the carb size that matters, it's the jet
    • Fiat 126 blog
  • Location: Maasmechelen, Belgium
Re:
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 11:04:02 AM »
I actually ordered a piston ring tool yesterday. But I think it's best to take all apart wilst I'm this far.

Rusty's Uncle

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2837
  • Karma: 34
Re: Rusty cylinders
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 01:36:32 PM »

Tnx Gadge, next question, I removed the cylinders of the top of the pistons, is it possible to get it back on like this? Broke the 3rd piston ring trying to.
Piston rings are the most delicate items in the whole engine rebuilding process and it can be a bit of a mare when you break one. With the air cooled engines ring compressors work best when you drop the Pistons in from the top. I prefer to lift off the barrels then fit the Pistons from the bottom into the barrels .
Do not forget if you are fitting new rings to hone or glaze bust the bores. I tend to push the rings in with a screwdriver into the lead at the base of the barrels as I think this helps to get the 120 degree spacing between the ring gaps.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Da Londo

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 287
  • Karma: 0
  • It's not the carb size that matters, it's the jet
    • Fiat 126 blog
  • Location: Maasmechelen, Belgium
Re: Rusty cylinders
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 07:38:59 PM »

Do not forget if you are fitting new rings to hone or glaze bust the bores.

Could you explain this? I don't really understand.

Rusty's Uncle

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2837
  • Karma: 34
Re: Rusty cylinders
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 09:14:02 PM »

[/quote]

Could you explain this? I don't really understand.
[/quote]

In  a used engine the piston rings bed into the bores to form a close seal. The cylinder wall takes on a fine shine or glaze matched to the piston rings to get the best compression. If you remove the pistons or fit new piston rings then you should break the glaze or shine on the bores to allow a new seal to be formed  :)

Da Londo

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 287
  • Karma: 0
  • It's not the carb size that matters, it's the jet
    • Fiat 126 blog
  • Location: Maasmechelen, Belgium
Re: Rusty cylinders
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 09:20:58 PM »
Aha! And how do we achieve it? Not with sandpaper obviously.

Rusty's Uncle

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2837
  • Karma: 34
Re: Rusty cylinders
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 01:50:39 PM »

Aha! And how do we achieve it? Not with sandpaper obviously.

You are not far off there. You can get bore honing / glaze busting tools on ebay for £20 or less that fit into an electric drill. I made my own from a piece of bar fitted with four small rods. Then slotted in half a sheet of 150 grit wet or dry folded over so it is like double sided. The bar fits into the drill then the wet or dry into the bore. Lubricate with a little white spirit or very light oil then run the drill moving the goner up and down the bore. I have used a piece of wood dowelling before as well instead of the rod then slit it down with a saw .


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk