Author Topic: Gear linkage flexible joint (or even just the bolts!)  (Read 2237 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lina

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 264
  • Karma: -1
    • Facebook profile
Gear linkage flexible joint (or even just the bolts!)
« on: November 12, 2011, 03:10:53 PM »
Hello all,

Finally done the gearbox only to have the bolt that connects the gear linkage to the 'box shear off (luckily stuck in 2nd so could get home :) )

Before I order a new linkage with said bolts, thought I'd ask here first, as someone may have one lying around.

The bolt is a stepped sort, so need the right one.

Cheers!
Lina - as in Lyna - as in dustbin liner, eye liner, ocean going... etc!

Rusty's Uncle

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2837
  • Karma: 34
Re: Gear linkage flexible joint (or even just the bolts!)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 04:25:37 PM »
Hi Lina , are you saying that you just need the bolt or are you after a complete link with the bolts. Either way I have got all the bits here. The bolts should also be fitted with a special spring washer between the link and the shafts and a self locking nut .

Lina

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 264
  • Karma: -1
    • Facebook profile
Re: Gear linkage flexible joint (or even just the bolts!)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 04:43:12 PM »
Hi Rusty - that's great news! 

Well, it's the bolt that's snapped off (giving a nice, uniform circular movement effect to the gear stick, whilst remaining completely ineffectual ;) ), so only need the bolt really, but as I expected to have to buy the joint entirely to get the bolts etc, I was good with the idea of replacing the entire unit anyway, then I would have replaced everything apart from the gearstick and rod!  So yes, first choice would be the entire joint and bolts etc, second choice just the bolt.

As you mentioned the washers and nuts, do you have those too?  That would be super!

I can't believe I've been stumped by a bolt... :)
Lina - as in Lyna - as in dustbin liner, eye liner, ocean going... etc!

Rusty's Uncle

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2837
  • Karma: 34
Re: Gear linkage flexible joint (or even just the bolts!)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 05:26:20 PM »
Lina with a 126 you have to expect the unexpected  ???
I once fitted a rebuilt gearbox and after 10 mins of testing the clutch did not work , everything looked fine but discovered the bolt that secures the clutch release fork to the operating arm had sheared for some reason . I could get my finger tips on it up inside the bell housing but could not shift it  :$
Had to take the whole box out again to sort it  :o
Anyway will check out the options in the morning and will be in touch  :)

Lina

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 264
  • Karma: -1
    • Facebook profile
Re: Gear linkage flexible joint (or even just the bolts!)
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 05:39:19 PM »
LOL at 'expect the unexpected' - I'm learning that one!!

On a plus side, managed to get 1.5 miles of driving a 126 WITH a first gear under my belt before this happened, so I now can't wait until that feels 'normal' - can't believe I've not ever driven a 126 with a first gear - totally different car!! ;D  I like it...!

It's all cool, as have my 'back-up car' which has been in pretty much constant use recently, so at least I'm not stuck for transport.

Give me a shout when you've had a look. 

Cheers Rusty!! :)
Lina - as in Lyna - as in dustbin liner, eye liner, ocean going... etc!

Hazey-n-Marc

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 2282
  • Karma: 10
  • It's Hazey's car, she does let me fix it sometimes
Re: Gear linkage flexible joint (or even just the bolts!)
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 11:15:16 AM »
Hey Rusty, just seen this. Have you still got any spare linkage bolts?

Marc

Rusty's Uncle

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2837
  • Karma: 34
Re: Gear linkage flexible joint (or even just the bolts!)
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 11:43:39 AM »
Funny you should say that , I just had my hand on some nuts this morning  :o
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Might have the bolts attached  ;D

Hazey-n-Marc

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 2282
  • Karma: 10
  • It's Hazey's car, she does let me fix it sometimes
Re: Gear linkage flexible joint (or even just the bolts!)
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 11:47:36 AM »
 :o  :lol:

Cool, only need one if you do have one. PM me with how and how much and I will sort it.

Cheers

Marc

Rusty's Uncle

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2837
  • Karma: 34
Re: Gear linkage flexible joint (or even just the bolts!)
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 12:19:26 PM »
No need to PM , I am not an MP !  :P
I like to keep everything out in the open but you do get sunburnt in some odd places  :o
I know that you Norfolk Rock Stars are minted so just put £100 in unmarked notes in a plain brown envelope & slip it through my letter box and I will get it sorted  ;D

Hazey-n-Marc

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 2282
  • Karma: 10
  • It's Hazey's car, she does let me fix it sometimes
Re: Gear linkage flexible joint (or even just the bolts!)
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »
There go my next 6 years of royalties  :(

Hazey-n-Marc

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 2282
  • Karma: 10
  • It's Hazey's car, she does let me fix it sometimes
Re: Gear linkage flexible joint (or even just the bolts!)
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 10:22:08 AM »
Think I've a stalker, found some nuts hanging through my letter box this morning  :o :o

Cheers Rusty  :D