Author Topic: Transmission: for 126 aircooled 1989  (Read 1938 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlleyNiki

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 163
  • Karma: 0
Transmission: for 126 aircooled 1989
« on: July 07, 2011, 12:34:23 AM »
Hi,

Seeing as my back wheels locked I may be in need of a new transmission, or hopefully just the innards for the gearbox. The possible cause is a destroyed gear shaft bearing. I have spare bearings and a spare main shaft, but I don't know what the extent of the damage was.. :cry:

I'm in Australia but may just have to get something sent from overseas and wear the postage costs!

Will post again this week when I know what the problem is (taking it apart today).

Alastair

Darrell

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1715
  • Karma: 4
    • facebook profile
Re: Transmission: for 126 aircooled 1989
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 08:36:29 AM »
I have a gearbox in bits, maybe you could identify the offending items as postage might kill us.
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

AlleyNiki

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 163
  • Karma: 0
Re: Transmission: for 126 aircooled 1989
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:50:41 AM »
I have a gearbox in bits, maybe you could identify the offending items as postage might kill us.

Hi Darrell, thanks for responding so quickly!

I've opened up the gearbox and found .. no damage, and all the parts intact!

Basically I think the problem is the input shaft on top. It seems to be able to move - the bearing is sliding out about half a centimetre towards the front of the car, and when this happens this input shaft meshes with other gears and jams things up. (When in second gear, at least)

Also, I think the syncro tabs on the 2nd gear, lower pinion shaft were not held in properly. The spring clip seemed to have slipped off and when I removed the hub, they all fell out.

I put it all back and tried the gears out by pushing the selectors with my hands, and it seems to be fine - no jamming up any more but I need to prevent that shaft from sliding.

I'm not sure if I need any new parts at the moment, but cheers for posting. I'll post this up on the mech problems forum and see what people say.

Thanks! :)

Alastair


skelz

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 183
  • Karma: 0
Re: Transmission: for 126 aircooled 1989
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 11:11:34 AM »

AlleyNiki

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 163
  • Karma: 0
Re: Transmission: for 126 aircooled 1989
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 10:58:12 AM »
Thanks guys :),

It seems that I don't need new transmission parts after all. The jam up was caused by my transmission mount finally disintegrating and I've got a new one of those!

I will be looking for a sports exhaust however, if you guys know of a good one!