Author Topic: disc conversion  (Read 2681 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BigNik

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Karma: 0
disc conversion
« on: June 22, 2015, 07:57:11 PM »
Guys can you do the disc brake conversion using 12 inch wheels. What are the best components to use cinq/sei cent?

Rusty's Uncle

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2837
  • Karma: 34
Re: disc conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 08:21:47 PM »
Cinque & Seicento brakes are the same. The discs are not suitable for 12" wheels, you need ones that have to be machined down in diameter. Calliper carriers need to be modified as do the pads and you will have to solve the problem of disc alignment with the calliper. That is assuming that you have a suitable set of adaptor plates to mount the calipers and I do not know of any that are available .

BigNik

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Karma: 0
Re: disc conversion
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 10:29:47 PM »
Thanks Rusty. I clocked a post on another forum where some guys were using 12's on 500's with 126 hubs and disc conversions. Given I like my 12's and have standard lump will probably leave it.

Thanks,
Nik


Rusty's Uncle

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2837
  • Karma: 34
Re: disc conversion
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 07:38:26 AM »
Hi Nik, I actually bought a complete kit for the fronts on my 500L some time ago , cost about £450 I believe. What I did not know at the time and what a lot of guys who are running these 12" set ups is that most of the parts are specially modified so repacement parts are not available and have to be made. To run standard 500 wheels you also need pcd adaptor plates. The disc conversion for the 13" wheels is totally straight forward using unmodified standard parts and if you can source a cheap set of discs and calipers it can be done for less than £100. You get better brakes and a system that is easier to fit and work on than drums. Also more reliable and requires less maintenance  :)

BigNik

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Karma: 0
Re: disc conversion
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 09:38:23 PM »
To be honest I am gutted I bought the wheels in 12 inch because I can see how easy the conversion could be. Well something for the future I suppose. Will get the parts and shelve them for when I get the urge for more than 24 bhp 😂