Author Topic: Fitting the oilcooler adaptor to the oilpumplid.  (Read 3408 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dikkehemaworst

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Karma: 0
Fitting the oilcooler adaptor to the oilpumplid.
« on: March 27, 2015, 10:02:41 PM »
Hey guys. After lurking for a while on your better than ever forum, i have a question regarding my own fast  engine build. I made an oilcooler from a motorbike oilrad , universal filter and an nanni adaptor wich i got from evil bay.
My question is as followed.
The adaptor has to be connected to the oilpump lid. I have to drill a hole in the lid and have to screw the adaptor in place.
Is the drilling of the hole in the oilpumplid the onlybthing i have to do or do i have to block or open up some oil channels? I haven't got a clue and everyone i speak to with an oilcooler fitted , bought and paid for the conversion. So.......  do you guys know?
Thank a million already.
Greetings from amsterdam
Frans

thepuddlejumper

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 685
  • Karma: 2
  • Location: Scotland
Re: Fitting the oilcooler adaptor to the oilpumplid.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 09:05:07 AM »
I drilled a hole directly opposite the centre of the oil pump shaft and weded on an oilway adapter. The oil pump shaft has a hole through the centre which provides the flow to the engine internals. You have to block this to put the flow through the casing to your new cooler and filter. The return from the new bits is through an access to the oilways. There is an Allan key grub screw located on the crankcase. If you look at the pump casing draw a line at say 50deg on the right from the horizontal up to you reach the edge, you should find the access just on the crankcase. Unscrew and replace with an adapter for the hose connection job done.  This returns the oil to the original oil outlet area from the pump. Well this is how I was told to do it from an o!d 500 racer in Italy. I have carried out the mod but have still to test it out. Take care removing the grub screw, these can be difficult and stubborn to remove.
Ralph
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 09:33:14 AM by thepuddlejumper »

dikkehemaworst

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Karma: 0
Fitting the oilcooler adaptor to the oilpumplid.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 04:42:57 PM »
The grub screw can be taken out by heating the surrounding and cooling the grubscrew. Works for me all the time.  By blocking the hole in the oilpumpshaft , you mean the big hole at the back of the oilpump?    Do i weld it shut of did you do it differently. Really interesting to know.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:34:33 PM by Pete126 »

dikkehemaworst

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Karma: 0
Re:
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 09:32:06 AM »
Oh , and how did you connect the oilway adaptor? Did you threaded the holes of did you use very small nuts on the inside of the casing?  When i get up in the morning i probably have another question :-)

dikkehemaworst

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Karma: 0
Re:
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 09:35:58 AM »
Do you have pictures of your cinversion?

thepuddlejumper

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 685
  • Karma: 2
  • Location: Scotland
Re: Fitting the oilcooler adaptor to the oilpumplid.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 07:05:45 PM »
I welded on a commercially available adapter that takes standard oil fitments. I also replaced the grub screw with a commercially available connector. All parts are available from all oilcooler and pipe suppliers. My gear is EARL'S performance plumbing. The hole to be blocked is the one through the main pump drive gear. I tapped the hole and fitted a grubscrew with loctite, I intend to put a spy of weld on to secure, better safe than sorry. I have posted photos a long while back.  My garage is a bit of a shambles at the moment so it may take me some time to dig the cover out, I will post photos as soon as I get them. As the other poster said you could drill and tap the cover, not sure of the thickness from memory but this could work.
Ralph

dikkehemaworst

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Karma: 0
Re:
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 08:56:34 AM »
Thanks ralph , this really helps.

thepuddlejumper

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 685
  • Karma: 2
  • Location: Scotland
Re: Fitting the oilcooler adaptor to the oilpumplid.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 11:45:03 AM »
Finally got into the garage, see photos re mods to pump and casing. This is the mods an Italian racer told me about, still to complete engine build and try out.

Ralph