Author Topic: Full BIS engine rebuild  (Read 4005 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dom.kellett

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 177
  • Karma: 0
Full BIS engine rebuild
« on: December 09, 2014, 11:22:44 PM »
I've stripped the top end and shall be starting the bottom very shortly hopefully, anyone got any tips for what to look out for,  anything I need to check before a rebuild or anything I have to replace everytime? Pistons need replacing so if anyone knows where to get some and its it worth getting the barrels bored out? I can't see it making much or a difference but thought I would ask to see if anyone has already tried?? Thanks Dom


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gadge

  • Subscribers
  • Super Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1353
  • Karma: 15
  • Location: Warwickshire
Re: Full BIS engine rebuild
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 07:25:30 AM »
Just the usual stuff - shells, oil seals, head gasket (make sure you skim the head), gaskets and rings. If you need parts the piotross is definatly the man to see. Very reasonable prices and he can get anything!:D
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D


dom.kellett

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 177
  • Karma: 0
Re: Full BIS engine rebuild
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 03:48:39 PM »
Ok then thankyou guys! I'll get going tonight :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty's Uncle

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2837
  • Karma: 34
Re: Full BIS engine rebuild
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 07:56:51 PM »
Do you know much about the engine like how many miles? A reasonably serviced engine that has not experienced a major failure can be good for at least 100,000 miles. Generally I would say that it is the top end (air cooled) or in your case the right hand side (Bis) that will take the most wear. Unless abused the bottom end as in crank , main and big end bearings are pretty robust and the original factory bearings are of a superior quality to much of the aftermarket stuff so I would say check them out before you chuck anything away as it could save you about £200 for crank regrinding & new bearings. New oil seals, gaskets are obvious and check out the timing chain. What is wrong with the pistons . If they are damaged then the bores will most likely need a rebore.

dom.kellett

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 177
  • Karma: 0
Re: Full BIS engine rebuild
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 08:08:30 PM »
All I know it that the full car has done around 34k, I don't know of any other service history etc, but ok then thankyou, in going to check everything before discarding it, if I have to replace something I'm going to keep it all to mess about with and make small sculptures with lol, did it with a motorbike aha, and when The Pistons go down to back up it brings gunk and oil up with it everytime, hopefully I just needs and good clean :) hopefully
Dom


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gammakeith

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 137
  • Karma: 4
Re: Full BIS engine rebuild
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 05:52:03 PM »
I've just stripped my spare BIS engine to see what its like.  I was just going to pull the head but got carried away.  It had done about 50,000 miles and was apparently running fine when taken off the road - the nice colour to the valves appears to confirm this.  The engine had not had an oil change for a loooong time based on all the sludge which was a bit of a blow.  However, the bores were perfect and the pistons show no blow-past.  Thus, like Rusty I would double check before buying new pistons as you can likely get away with just new rings and a glaze bust.  The crank appears to have survived with just a tiny bit of scoring to the journals but both big end shells and the flywheel side main bearing were down to copper so the poor thing must have had low oil pressure as well. Timing chain and sprockets were quite worn as well. I don't know how much wear on mine was down to lack of oil changes but I reckon a well cared for BIS engine should be able to do 100,000 miles easily. 

Keith

gammakeith

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 137
  • Karma: 4
Re: Full BIS engine rebuild
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »
Some pics....


Rusty's Uncle

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2837
  • Karma: 34
Re: Full BIS engine rebuild
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 07:09:05 PM »
Easy test for the piston rings is to just remove a ring , push it down into the bore and check the gap between the open ends with a feeler gauge. The tolerances for the air cooled engines are in the Haynes manual. Also before you ditch the crank bearings check the mains on the journals for play. Again the tolerances are in the manual. In my experience the original bearings seem to have a flash of white metal over a bronze layer with a steel backing. Replacements look like just white metal on the steel backing. The crankshaft should tell the whole story. If there is no ovality checked with a "tenth" micrometer or bad scoring then you could probably use the whole lot again for another 50,000 miles  :)

dom.kellett

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 177
  • Karma: 0
Re: Full BIS engine rebuild
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 09:32:51 PM »
Oooh very good news then thankyou everyone! Going to carry of with the strip down and fitting my new recaro seats :) busy busy busy ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk