Author Topic: GPS-based speedometer  (Read 2140 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

drcdb15

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 511
  • Karma: 6
  • Location: East Grinstead, West Sussex
GPS-based speedometer
« on: October 09, 2014, 08:53:02 PM »
As far as my limited Google searches go, the only "simple" GPS-based speedometer in the UK is this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Wireless-Digital-GPS-Speedo-LCD-Display-MPH-KPH-Speedometer/221564131273?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3Df0b1cbcdf6da4710ac11183007f1d845%26pid%3D100204%26prg%3D20140407115239%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D321539280774

There are several variants from different Chinese and Hong Kong suppliers, but essentially they are all the same (in appearance at least, and in price). There are lots of other GPS systems, such as smartphone apps right up to serious high end rally units, and most sat navs and speed trap alerting devices offer a speedo function. There are also HUD devices, but for a plain, simple, just "stick it on and forget it" device the one I've mentioned seems to be about it. At least, in good old "rip-off Britain".

I was just wondering if any of our friends across mainland Europe knew of any offerings from suppliers there that might be a little cheaper, or a different style ? (Axel Gerstl doesn't list anything)

I was particularly wanting a GPS system so I don't have to worry about speeding issues (cue all the jokes about the top speed of a 126  :$) if I start playing around with different wheels/tyre sizes. (yes, I know there are tyre/wheel size calculators on the web for all that, but at my age, can I be fussed with all that ? I just want to know my speed, and I just want a simple little screen to tell me)  :headscratch:

Pete126

  • Administrator
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3369
  • Karma: 35
  • Location: West Yorkshire
Re: GPS-based speedometer
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:28:08 PM »
Can't really see the point of just buying a GPS speedo I bought one of [THESE] a few years ago ;D and it does the lot for 32 quid
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

drcdb15

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 511
  • Karma: 6
  • Location: East Grinstead, West Sussex
Re: GPS-based speedometer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 10:38:13 PM »
Well there you are, you see? *That's* why I asked in the Club, I *knew* someone here would have the answer! I like the picture of the young lady on the beach, is that legal while you're driving ?  :shy:

I don't suppose you happen to have handy a pic of what the speed screen looks like ? ... is it a digital display or mimic the speed limit sign, figures in white circle with red border, or what ? Or does it not have a speed-only screen but shows current speed along with something else ? I didn't really want the "speedo" to be just one tiny corner of a screen which is 95% map..

(gosh, there's no pleasing some people ... )

Pete126

  • Administrator
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3369
  • Karma: 35
  • Location: West Yorkshire
Re: GPS-based speedometer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 11:56:44 PM »
(gosh, there's no pleasing some people ... )

I know what you mean ;D

The menu bar on the LHS shows Direction - Time to destination - Speed - Current Time

If there are speed cameras on that section of road it flashes up the speed limit with a round blue outer circle which turns red if you exceed the limit

I would check with the seller if the software for speed cameras is installed as it doesn't say in the spec but the one i have uses the same O/S :thumbup
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

drcdb15

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 511
  • Karma: 6
  • Location: East Grinstead, West Sussex
Re: GPS-based speedometer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 09:18:07 PM »
Thanks for that, I will give it some thought. I use a Snooper Lynx Lite on another car and that has an excellent "speedo" display (again, changes colour similarly) but at over £100 (and given my extremely limited mileage in the kit car) I can't really justify getting another one (and I can't be bothered to keep swapping one unit between cars, getting too old for all that...)

I hadn't though of using a satnav until you suggested it, and then of course I thought of the Snooper speed trap detector (er, I mean Helpful Assistant to Encourage Ultra Safe Accident Free Driving Within the Speed Limit Device... Officer). What I really want is the Snooper My-Speed, but I think they're being discontinued. Ho hum, maybe get an old one on fleabay.