Author Topic: My European 126p's sibling  (Read 2521 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

GTMaster

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 809
  • Karma: 2
  • Na most a tuti- tuti- tuti
My European 126p's sibling
« on: September 19, 2014, 11:02:51 AM »
Helloo!

I thought I'd drop a line after a long time away from 126's and in the meantime having the opportunity to work flat out on other horrible things, (currently they're called Jaguars :)) Anyway, being in Melbourne now I started looking around for Nikis and they are a rare sight. Came across a website, an Italian car workshop/wreckers that showed a couple in a wrecking yard. So off I went to enquire and organised the delivery of one lovely example (probably one lady owner, odometer shows "only" around 53000 kms ):)
So first things first: where's the rust? After looking in the usual places I have to say this is the best one I've come across as there's no structural rust anywhere underneath only on the bootlid and under the windscreen (rubber has also shrunk). There's panel damage on the right hand side door and wheelarch but I have spares that I picked up earlier from a Fiat workshop that had closed down. Engine isn't seized but I haven't started it and don't plan on doing so as when I commence work on it it will be pulled apart along with everything else, brakes, gearbox etc. I've pulled all the interior trim out as the roof lining was sagging and as I suspected the carpet underlay material was soaked in water condensation (no rust though on the floorpan).
Here it is then, the 126p rallye car! Will be eventually....
"One more drink, Lacikám?"

All about car restoration can be found in the song
"Got my mind set on you" by George Harrison...

GTMaster

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 809
  • Karma: 2
  • Na most a tuti- tuti- tuti
Re: My European 126p's sibling
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:03:38 AM »
From behind..
"One more drink, Lacikám?"

All about car restoration can be found in the song
"Got my mind set on you" by George Harrison...

GTMaster

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 809
  • Karma: 2
  • Na most a tuti- tuti- tuti
Re: My European 126p's sibling
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 11:04:37 AM »
Another angle
"One more drink, Lacikám?"

All about car restoration can be found in the song
"Got my mind set on you" by George Harrison...

GTMaster

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 809
  • Karma: 2
  • Na most a tuti- tuti- tuti
Re: My European 126p's sibling
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 11:39:54 AM »
Of course while I was away from my green one no one really serviced it so while I was on holiday there I thought I'd give it a big service :)

Oil change, spark plugs, air filter, re- torqued cylinder head, set valve clearances and points, replaced front brake shoes, adjusted clutch cable, greased king pins, replaced V-belt and replaced fuel lines which had perished after only 18000kms. Gave it a wash and good as new! Then two weeks later someone reversed into the front of it and dented the front panel and broke the indicator light....
"One more drink, Lacikám?"

All about car restoration can be found in the song
"Got my mind set on you" by George Harrison...

GTMaster

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 809
  • Karma: 2
  • Na most a tuti- tuti- tuti
Re: My European 126p's sibling
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 11:40:27 AM »
..
"One more drink, Lacikám?"

All about car restoration can be found in the song
"Got my mind set on you" by George Harrison...

GTMaster

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 809
  • Karma: 2
  • Na most a tuti- tuti- tuti
Re: My European 126p's sibling
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 11:53:05 AM »
 :(
"One more drink, Lacikám?"

All about car restoration can be found in the song
"Got my mind set on you" by George Harrison...

GTMaster

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 809
  • Karma: 2
  • Na most a tuti- tuti- tuti
Re: My European 126p's sibling
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »
 :( It's been fixed since and the insurance paid for it but still very annoying.
"One more drink, Lacikám?"

All about car restoration can be found in the song
"Got my mind set on you" by George Harrison...

Gadge

  • Subscribers
  • Super Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1353
  • Karma: 15
  • Location: Warwickshire
Re: My European 126p's sibling
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 08:26:27 PM »
Looking good :) same thing happened to mine....... I know there small but they ain't that small! Luckily it was just and inicator lense and some minor scuffing.

Keep up the good work  ;D
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D