Author Topic: Buying tyres 135/65/12  (Read 7359 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Darrell

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1715
  • Karma: 4
    • facebook profile
Re: Buying tyres 135/65/12
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 08:48:40 PM »
I've just taken my 500 wheels in for powder coating, the grey they do is pretty much the same as they were, amazingly they just called it wheel silver and said it needed a gloss..powder gloss is a first for me but hey ho. Can't be putting-up with rubbish paint on rims so powder coat I thought was the way to go.

When the wheels were done they looked real good, so decided to try fitting the tyre myself which I did as the tyres are new with my hands only. There was no need to use tyre levers at all.

I chuckled at the purchase of tools and the like as the tubeless valves I used pushed-in with a bit of lube :P
Maybe my hands are like spanners :$
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

Rusty's Uncle

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2837
  • Karma: 34
Re: Buying tyres 135/65/12
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 09:18:01 PM »
If you are talking about standard original wheel rims that you have fitted with tubeless tyres then you may have a big problem there as those rims were not designed to take tubeless tyres. The reason why you can fit them so easily is because the inner tube was meant to take & spread the load with no need for a seal on the bead, very much like bicycle tyres, as opposed to tubeless where the design relies upon the integrity of the rim and a close fitting bead on the tyre.

Darrell

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1715
  • Karma: 4
    • facebook profile
Re: Buying tyres 135/65/12
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 09:54:24 PM »
I did the two rear ones with tubes and it was just as easy.

The tyres state they can be tubeless and measured the lip etc compared to a alloy I have run tubeless and it was very similar.

Personally I cannot see a possible 30hp ever causing issues to them.

I will hurt the tyres on a test to me sure to be sure  :-
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

blackpanther13

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 67
  • Karma: 0
Re: Buying tyres 135/65/12
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 04:27:55 PM »
Ordered some tyres finally from Hungary. It seemed to be impossible to buy them here (local garage received some from the suppliers but sent them back as they were 11 (!!) years old...
On topgear homepage there were some good deals but turned out they don't have them in stock but can get them for me in 2 months time. Not good enough :)
So they are coming from Hungary and we have to pick them up in St Albans. Not easy with a unique car is it? :)