Author Topic: 600 CBR project  (Read 3212 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mrjonsta1996

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: 0
600 CBR project
« on: November 22, 2015, 10:53:28 AM »
Hello guys,
I'm new to the forum and was hoping for some pointers. I am planning on buying a fiat 126 (not too fussy on which year/model). And replacing the engine with a 600cc Honda CBR motor. I have a decent idea of how to get it done but the main issue was actually insurance. Does anyone have any idea what sort of things I would need to declare about it and how much of an impact it will have to the insurance cost.
Thanks.

Pete126

  • Administrator
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3369
  • Karma: 35
  • Location: West Yorkshire
Re: 600 CBR project
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 06:55:45 PM »
TBH your not going to get allot of help here, Every month new members ask the same question search (bike engines) and read the threads.  ever since this forum has been online I haven't heard of or seen a road legal UK registered bike engine'd 126 conversion, Once you start cutting the body to get the mechanical's in, the car is subject to an [IVA Test] once you get past that stage insurance is not a problem as long as you have deep pockets every modification has to be declared, engine, brakes, wheels, tires, seats and any other mods you might have done otherwise you will be screwed if you have an accident or someone runs into you. My advice is unless you are a qualified mechanical engineer I wouldn't attempt the conversion, you only have to look on Ebay and see how many 126 Projects are for sale every year, because they start off with good intentions  but then realize they are out of there depth.
Sorry but I'm just telling it how it is, maybe you can prove us wrong and if so Good Luck!

Checkout this thread [Another bike engined project bites the dust]
 
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

DeVilleChris

  • Subscribers
  • Super Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1217
  • Karma: 7
    • Club 126 UK
Re: 600 CBR project
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 07:03:35 PM »
I'd have to agree with Pete here fella, So many 126's are getting cut up year on year and then end up scrapped or back on eBay because of IVA rules and what not. There is only so far you can go before it purely becomes a track car and not a road car.

I would however wish you lots of luck and if you do make it then it would be nice to see (as long as you dont cut up a nice early italian car) but as Pete says, it is one hell of a challenge!

Chris
1979 Fiat 126 DeVille
1979 Fiat 900T Amigo

dadandlad

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: 8
  • Location: Halifax West Yorkshire UK
Re: 600 CBR project
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 08:03:54 PM »
Hi and welcome Mrjonsta1996

As the above have said far too many don't get finished and end up on ebay as unfinished projects

I will tell you what a member on here told me a couple of weeks ago

Said member has had a lot of cars including mini cooper S's but swears the most fun he has had driving is his standard 126 Bis ,  sure modern cars keep up on the straight bits but once into the twisty stuff he keeps his right foot planted and leaves them behind
 

Being a fully qualified mechanic and having a lot of experience fabricating it isn't the sort of project to be undertaken lightly 

At least if you have a standard car it will always be worth something

I also would like to wish you the best of luck whichever path you choose to take