Author Topic: Aircooled engine in a BIS  (Read 3557 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Scarlettkitten

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 105
  • Karma: 0
  • Location: Midlands, UK
Aircooled engine in a BIS
« on: May 17, 2015, 07:52:25 AM »
I've heard people talk about having seen aircooled engines fitted into the BIS, I wondered if anyone had any photos of such a thing, just wanted to see if there's any fouling of the bodywork etc...

Soph
1990 126 BIS

Gadge

  • Subscribers
  • Super Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1353
  • Karma: 15
  • Location: Warwickshire
Re: Aircooled engine in a BIS
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 09:19:41 AM »
I think the engine would however I'm not sure that the fan would clear the engine lid appature. Maybe if you cut it bigger it would. The only problem is that you'll have the engine in the car with you filling the cabin up with fumes  ;D
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Scarlettkitten

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 105
  • Karma: 0
  • Location: Midlands, UK
Re: Aircooled engine in a BIS
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 09:27:23 AM »
I don't mind the fumes, I'll just crack a window :)

as long as it clears the engine hole, a custom lid would be fabbed up.
1990 126 BIS

Pete126

  • Administrator
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3369
  • Karma: 35
  • Location: West Yorkshire
Re: Aircooled engine in a BIS
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 09:47:12 AM »
I've heard people talk about having seen aircooled engines fitted into the BIS, I wondered if anyone had any photos of such a thing, just wanted to see if there's any fouling of the bodywork etc...

Soph

Can i ask Why :headscratch:
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Scarlettkitten

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 105
  • Karma: 0
  • Location: Midlands, UK
Re: Aircooled engine in a BIS
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 11:43:58 AM »
Cos I'm a nutter, more tuning bits for aircooled and if I turbo the BIS engine I'd have to modify the lid anyways so... but mainly cos I'm crazy :D
1990 126 BIS

Gadge

  • Subscribers
  • Super Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1353
  • Karma: 15
  • Location: Warwickshire
Re: Aircooled engine in a BIS
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 12:49:11 PM »
I've been building a new BIS engine for mine and I've been doing loads of research into tuning and found a lot of the aircooled stuff fits the BIS for instance I have lightened forged con rods for an aircooled and a head with bigger inlet valves in it from a cinquecento 700. I also know I could've have forged Pistons, a lightened aluminium flywheel and a forged crankshaft if I had like £1800  :D all for aircooled 500/126 engines and if you can find shorter con rods you can buy a crank with a longer throw so can increase the cc to 800. Exhausts are a bit tricky and as yet I've not seen any sports cams  but there's some scope for tuning :)
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Rusty's Uncle

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2837
  • Karma: 34
Re: Aircooled engine in a BIS
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 05:31:46 PM »
I've not seen any sports cams  but there's some scope for tuning :)

If you Bis boys and girls get organised you could do what we did with the air cooled camshafts and have good used ones reprofiled to a sport cam profile. We went for the same spec as the Axle Gerstal sport / fast road camshafts and with a batch they come in way cheaper than any other supplier. I still have a spare one for an air cooled engine and Markymarc bought one but did not get round to fitting it to Lil Rod before he sold it so I believe that is for sale also.
Gadge I like the sound of what you are doing with the Bis engine and look forward to hearing how it goes  :)

Gadge

  • Subscribers
  • Super Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1353
  • Karma: 15
  • Location: Warwickshire
Re: Aircooled engine in a BIS
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 06:04:13 PM »
Thanks rusty  :D I'm determined to get at least one BIS lump to run right. I'm convinced that in there somewhere there is a good engine waiting to prove its worth and get some respect back so doing this should hopefully help others as a lot of people are desperately looking to other options for power and anyone who's owned a BIS will tell you space is tight and the options are small :(
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D