Author Topic: RHD headlights?  (Read 3938 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Scratchski

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 108
  • Karma: 0
RHD headlights?
« on: July 15, 2013, 08:55:19 PM »
Hi folks,
been looking at information on how to register an import vehicle on the internet and the gov website says I need RHD lights as neither tape nor beam benders would suffice, (was hoping to get away with beam benders for a while till I could find a set). So would anyone have a set of RHD lamps they would be willing to sell?
Cheers

Hazey-n-Marc

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 2282
  • Karma: 10
  • It's Hazey's car, she does let me fix it sometimes
Re: RHD headlights?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »
Hens teeth, rocking horse poo, a virgin in Wisbech, a truthfull politician and RHD 126 headlights all have something in common.
In the UK mot beam benders are fine. Not sure of Ireland but I would say that the less shiny the sign of the MOT station the less likely they are to try it on.

Marc

Pete126

  • Administrator
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3369
  • Karma: 35
  • Location: West Yorkshire
Re: RHD headlights?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 09:25:37 PM »
As far as I am aware you can put tape over the triangle that kicks the beam to the LHS, most of the european motor car manufactures don't bother with LH & RH headlights they just have a flat beam with no kick up, Its never been an issue with the left hookers I've owned   ;) Best thing is to call at your local MOT station and ask the question, There would not be any USA imports in the UK and Ireland if that was the law
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Scratchski

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 108
  • Karma: 0
Re: RHD headlights?
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 09:57:40 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll get the beam benders on Amazon and see how I get on,

{linky if it helps anyone else  :D}
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001P5UVTE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We have dedicated government run MOT centers in Northern Ireland tho rather than being able to take it to a local MOT qualified garage, so kinda relying on whatever bod i get not knowing the full regulations and giving me a by ball  ;D sure I can but try

Pete126

  • Administrator
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3369
  • Karma: 35
  • Location: West Yorkshire
Re: RHD headlights?
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 10:39:47 PM »
I just use black Insulation tape on the triangle part that kicks the beam up.  its a cheaper option  :D. But check with the MOT station first.
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Hazey-n-Marc

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 2282
  • Karma: 10
  • It's Hazey's car, she does let me fix it sometimes
Re: RHD headlights?
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 08:20:38 AM »
Aluminium tape works well, when it is polished it almost disappears  against the light and reflector.

Marc

Bar Vitelli

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1612
  • Karma: 16
  • Location: Halifax
Re: RHD headlights?
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 08:22:23 AM »
If you're still looking, I've got a healthy stock of RHD lights with side repeaters I'll be putting up for sale shortly.  They are nice and shiny, new and unused and made by Carello of Italy.  They are almost as beautiful as my car!  ;D

Price including postage and packing are:

1 for £45
2 for £80
4 for £120

Let me know if you are interested!  ;D
Every cloud has one...

126blackbird

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 173
  • Karma: 5
  • Location: Maldon Essex
Re: RHD headlights?
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 08:50:57 AM »
Hi Bar Va Vitelli, I would like to buy 4 of your lights, that's if they fit the Bis.
 Will send you a private message.
 Graham

ChrisRLewis

  • Administrator
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1723
  • Karma: 25
    • Club126uk
  • Location: Swansea, UK
Re: RHD headlights?
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
The other alternative is to remove the old rhd lenses and transfer them into new lhd headlight shells, which are readily available.

Scratchski

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 108
  • Karma: 0
Re: RHD headlights?
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 10:26:12 AM »
 :o PM'd Bar ;D

wsmitwil

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 371
  • Karma: 2
  • Location: South Shropshire
Re: RHD headlights?
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 12:05:22 PM »

I was told by my local mot station that they would not pass cars if they had beam benders on from this year

 ::)
fiats forever

Bar Vitelli

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1612
  • Karma: 16
  • Location: Halifax
Re: RHD headlights?
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 03:40:33 PM »
Thanks, Keith and Graham....I've sent you each a PM!   ;D
Every cloud has one...

midvillesb

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 173
  • Karma: 2
Re: RHD headlights?
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 09:13:51 PM »
Another quick fix may be to change the position of the bulb by rotating it slightly. It certainly works the other way round as I managed to fail an MOT after installing brand new RHD lights with the bulbs inserted completely straight rather than aligned with the cut outs - the beam pattern kicked up in the opposite direction...

Pete126

  • Administrator
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3369
  • Karma: 35
  • Location: West Yorkshire
Re: RHD headlights?
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 09:48:31 PM »
Another quick fix may be to change the position of the bulb by rotating it slightly.

I have used this trick on quite a few USA cars I have owned, and have  never had a problem at MOT time.

As long as you have a flat beam without any kick up you should not have a problem, I would try a different MOT station

 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:01:22 PM by Pete126 »
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo