Author Topic: Early 126 Wanted  (Read 4358 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MikeL

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • Karma: 0
  • Location: Trowbridge
Early 126 Wanted
« on: May 04, 2017, 08:33:43 AM »
Hello, I'm looking for an early 126, must be RHD, mid-late 70's and ideally in good unmolested condition. Required as a present for my wife, a secondhand 126 was her first car nearly 40 years ago, heck how time flies! There is not a single car advertised at the moment that meets my criteria. If you are thinking of selling or know someone who may be please let me know. Thanks. Mike 07774 456654

Rusty's Uncle

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2837
  • Karma: 34
Re: Early 126 Wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 10:59:02 AM »
Hi Mike, good luck with your quest. The early cars are getting pretty hard to get hold of these days but you never know what might turn up. You could broaden your search if you picked up a later air cooled car then fitted the chrome bumpers and early style wheels which are all available  :)

MikeL

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • Karma: 0
  • Location: Trowbridge
Re: Early 126 Wanted
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 01:55:14 PM »
If push came to shove I would consider a later air cooled car but I would much prefer to find an early one.

I looked an early one recently, a nice solid car really original and a great colour too but the seller is asking really strong money, it needs various body repairs and a respray, I just can't see that it adds up.

Time enough yet, it is a shame my wife won't drive LHD as there are a few popping up abroad that I would otherwise look at, I have another Fiat that I imported from Italy three years ago.


DeVilleChris

  • Subscribers
  • Super Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1217
  • Karma: 7
    • Club 126 UK
Re: Early 126 Wanted
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 12:00:34 AM »
I have a set of hubs to convert to the early wheels if you do need to go for a later model.


Good luck in your search!
1979 Fiat 126 DeVille
1979 Fiat 900T Amigo

Bar Vitelli

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1612
  • Karma: 16
  • Location: Halifax
Re: Early 126 Wanted
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 03:51:45 PM »
I'll probably have a 1973 car in a week or so that I'd consider selling. Runs and drives well with a MOT, needs significant bodywork and panel replacement and a new paint job though. Would not consider less than £3,000 which with the repair work would probably put it outside your budget but let me know if you are interested and I'll send some pictures over.
Every cloud has one...

MikeL

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • Karma: 0
  • Location: Trowbridge
Re: Early 126 Wanted
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 08:25:44 PM »
Bar Vitelli could we chat please? 07774 456654, Monday/Tuesday eve would be ideal.

Bar Vitelli

  • Subscriber VIP+
  • Super Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1612
  • Karma: 16
  • Location: Halifax
Re: Early 126 Wanted
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 09:26:56 PM »
Cool, Mike, I'll give you a buzz. I hope I've not built your hopes up though, it does need a lot of bodywork and a paint job, your missus would not be impressed if you gave it to her in its current condition! It's my daily driver and goes like a bomb though and is a 1973 so if you are ever going to restore one this is the one to do!  :)
Every cloud has one...

Jake.Pidduck

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 56
  • Karma: 1
  • Location: nottingham
Re: Early 126 Wanted
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 10:30:38 AM »
Nooo not the little red car! Haha
Good reliable little car
1976 Fiat 126 "OPD"

Jake.Pidduck

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 56
  • Karma: 1
  • Location: nottingham
Re: Early 126 Wanted
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 09:51:25 PM »
There is a 1973 and a 1976 on eBay at the moment
1976 Fiat 126 "OPD"

drcdb15

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 511
  • Karma: 6
  • Location: East Grinstead, West Sussex
Re: Early 126 Wanted
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 10:45:02 PM »
Hello, I'm looking for an early 126, must be RHD, mid-late 70's and ideally in good unmolested condition. Required as a present for my wife, a secondhand 126 was her first car nearly 40 years ago, heck how time flies! There is not a single car advertised at the moment that meets my criteria. If you are thinking of selling or know someone who may be please let me know. Thanks. Mike 07774 456654

Must it be air-cooled? There are quite a few RHD Bis available in reasonable trim. Also likely to give a marginally better resemblance to a modern car than a 1970s model...

I've always been fond of the old Jag 2.4 saloons, beautiful old cars... until a chap at work got one and brought it in to the office. Sitting in it, realising just what it would be like to drive in modern traffic, what the seats would feel like, no servo assists, no power steering, the noise... sometimes sweet memories are best left unshattered.

At least with a 1990s Bis in good shape you'd have the fun, style and chic of the 126 (not to mention the practical point that you *can* actually find one!) with something approaching modern practicality. Spouses are rarely quite as wedded to our dreams of bygone era cars as we are despite the fond nostalgia  :cry:

MikeL

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • Karma: 0
  • Location: Trowbridge
Re: Early 126 Wanted
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 07:52:12 AM »
Deal done on a 1976 car, it is a runner with an MOT. Some good, some bad, I need to reduce it to a rolling shell, get the paint and underside stripped off, deal with the rot (it needs at least one wing), fresh paint and deal with the cosmetics. Mind you, I'm only too aware that a light restoration plan can very easily get a whole lot more complicated and expensive!

1973/126

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1753
  • Karma: 23
  • Location: Tunbridge Wells
Re: Early 126 Wanted
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 09:32:38 AM »
 I was wondering if you bought that one on eBay:)
 Looked decent enough. Make sure you put loads of photos on here of the restoration.
 
 
 
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

drcdb15

  • Super Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 511
  • Karma: 6
  • Location: East Grinstead, West Sussex
Re: Early 126 Wanted
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 11:08:09 AM »
ideally in good unmolested condition.

Hmm, well, not *too* far off spec, then  :P

Good luck with the resto - hope you get it done in time for 'er 'indoors !

MikeL

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • Karma: 0
  • Location: Trowbridge
Re: Early 126 Wanted
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 12:01:26 PM »
You are right, I had to drop "ideally good" from my wishlist, frankly I struggled to find anything! Still, it will be good by the time I'm finished!

Yes it was via a recent ebay listing, the one with the horrible two-tone paint.