Nigel thanks for the info, I contacted ZCARS to find out if they would sell me an adapter plate, as they have fitted the same ea81 into a 500. He wanted me to supply the engine, my car without engine and he would fabricate the parts for me at a cost of £2,000 and he would supply an exhaust for £1,000. I thought this a tad expensive so a few phone calls and I have a 25mm thk x450 x 450 aluminium plate. I have a local machine shop who can carry out any machining I need. It's a bis gearbox I intend to mate the engine to. The company in Aus sells crownwheel and pinion to reverse the drive, allowing the gearbox to drive in all gears in reverse. This is the kit the VW guys use for their bugs and campers. I had thought about this but at £1,000+ and carriage cost from Aus put me off. They also do a kit to shorten the Subaru gearbox, this might help. I will take loads of photographs and keep you all informed of progress. This going to be a long project, looking at 10 months at least. Hope you get up and running by christmas, sounds like a super trick set up can't wait to see the finished car. Talk to you soon.
Ralph