Club126UK
Fiat 126 Chat => Tuning & Customising 126 Models => Topic started by: mintex on May 26, 2015, 09:17:51 PM
-
Anyone added this 5th gear mod to the 126, if so how was it and was it worth it?
Cheers :)
http://www.ricambio.co.uk/69-fiat/72-classic-fiat-126-parts/151-gearbox--parts/1206-5th-gear-kit--classic-fiat-500-126
-
Im joining this question , has anybody done this???
-
I am hoping to buy a similar kit for my car very soon so Watch this space ;)
It's been on my mind for a while and would certainly make cruising speeds a lot more bearable
-
I believe Smallcox did a 5th conversion some time ago, try search.
Ralph
-
Have a look at this thread, it might give you a better idea. It`s not just a straight forward fit.
http://www.fiatforum.com/500-classic/420736-5-speed.html
To be honest I wouldn`t bother fitting a 5 speed gearbox with a standard engine.
-
Wow :o I had no idea such modifications were needed to fit this kit. I was looking at the nanini one myself as it was the cheapest. Great read up if your thinking of buying one :D
-
It does seem a bit of work reading that, you would think buying a kit it would bolt on, it never says you need to modify things. I'd still be interested in doing it but as i use our fiat almost daily i might try it on a second hand gearbox lol :)
-
Hmmm .......I bought a Panda 750cc a few years ago and searched for ages to find one with a 5 speed gearbox. Once I had one I realised that I'd wasted my time. The engine just didnt have enough grunt to drive it. You would have to be at full throttle all the time to just maintain a steady speed on the flat. It was always labouring in 5th. You would have to be almost at top speed of 4th before you could select 5th because otherwise the car would just slow down. The car on flat ground would have a higher top speed in 4th. Its only usefulness was for going down long downhill sections on the motorway - so not really worth it all in all.
If your 126 has a standard engine then I would say the standard gearbox ratios are fine. My BIS cruises along in 4th gear at 60 - 65mph on the speedo (55-60mph on GPS) with no fuss at all. Thats with the 1st throttle wide open and the 2nd throttle closed. It doesn't feel like its revving too high at those speeds, but by the same token if I then press the accelerator all the way to the floor there is hardly any more acceleration so I feel that a 5th gear with an even taller ratio would be just too much for it.
If you have a tuned engine with considerably more power than standard and you make almost all of your journeys on motorways then it might be of some use to you. In fact it might yeild a higher top speed, but that brings me on to the next thing - These cars aren't designed to survive high speed crashes - there's not much to protect you - no crumple zones - side impact bars - just some thin steel, a crash at 80mph in a Fiat 126 would much more likely be fatal than larger more modern cars.
Sorry to put a downer on your project, I just wouldn't want you to do all that work and end up dissapointed with it. If you do decide to go ahead then let us know how you get on. :)
-
i was thinking that if i fitted a 5th gear then i could lower the gearing by fitting slightly smaller tyres and that way have better acceleration and hill climbing but still be able to cruise at 60mph.
Not sure if its worth getting a spare box to try it or not though at the minute :headscratch:
-
I think in a BIS it would probably suit it quite well. I find they Have very good low down torque and a little bit more grunt so may take the 5th gear in its stride. At 60 mine just buzzes and some of the shows I go to are over an hour or so on the motorway and I think it takes its toll on the poor thing.
Interestingly the nanini kit offers a short 3rd and 4th and an overdrive 5th gear so acceleration in 3rd and 4th will be better too
-
Interestingly the nanini kit offers a short 3rd and 4th and an overdrive 5th gear so acceleration in 3rd and 4th will be better too
this might be a better option then :)
-
i put that 5th gear kit in my 126(that exact one from ricambio) and it is briliant it is not to higher ratio that the engine truggles but not too lower ratio that it is not worth it.
but the only two bad things is that the kit needs modifying to fit (well aleast mine did) and second it is very expensive. for me it has aways made sense because i knew whatever happend i was going to turbo my car, but as i have said even standard there is plenty of grunt.
-
the kit needs modifying to fit (well aleast mine did)
How easy/hard did you find it to modify it bud?
-
it was not to bad for me but i work at a garage so all the equipment is at hand. the main tool was a di-grinder and a bench grinder. the other main tool is your brain because i can't remamber exactly but you have to make some parts.
sorry i'm vauge but it was a while ago but anyone should be able to do it, just takes time.