Club126UK

For Sale & Wanted => Wanted: => Topic started by: markymarc on August 18, 2012, 08:59:51 AM

Title: Bigger carb wanted
Post by: markymarc on August 18, 2012, 08:59:51 AM
Hi guys,

I would like to put a bigger carb on my lil 126 (air-cooled) Hot rod project.

Does anyone have a good one that will fit and/or all the parts needed to fit it aswell?

Many thanks
marc
Title: Re: Bigger carb wanted
Post by: Rusty's Uncle on August 22, 2012, 09:13:21 PM
Hi Marc , good to see you active. I thought that you were still running scared after I offered to arm wrestle at the 8 Ball Diner  :P
Anyway are you tuning the engine or is this just for show ?
Title: Re: Bigger carb wanted
Post by: markymarc on August 25, 2012, 06:57:15 PM
Hey there Rusty,

Having a play with the lil hot rod and would like to tweak abit!!  Engine going to be fairly stock unless funds allow?  But a sports exhaust and a lil bigger carb would be my choice like my old VW days.

Being an expert what would YOU recommend?

Im more of a SHOW and no GO kinda guy really!!

mark
Title: Re: Bigger carb wanted
Post by: Rusty's Uncle on August 25, 2012, 08:38:59 PM
Thing is once you go non-standard it all starts to get expensive very quickly. I read a good comment by Hudsonhenry a short time back. Something like " putting a big carb on a standard engine is like putting a sock down the front  of your trousers , looks impressive but will be lacking in performance!"
Having said that you can fit any carb if you can sort out / design / make a suitable manifold. Dellorto fzd carbs seem to work well but not a "macho" look. Weber 30DIC have a bit more "pose" but hard to get. An SU carb will fit on an fzd manifold but then your engine bay looks like a Morris Minor. I do have one outrageous twin choke side draught Solex set up (like weber 40). I posted a picture a couple of years back. Pictures defeat me at the moment but e-mail me if you want pics or details  :D
Title: Re: Bigger carb wanted
Post by: markymarc on September 01, 2012, 01:46:07 PM
Will this fit?
Woll this work?
Would I have to sort a manifold?
Are you saying you have one for sale?
How much?

mark
Title: Re: Bigger carb wanted
Post by: Rusty's Uncle on September 20, 2012, 05:49:53 PM
Hi Mark , this one dropped off the radar and you never got back to me. This is a carb , air filter & manifold which will need a little specialist work on the head to fit but it has serious "pose" value & performance if you go for a screamer  ;)
Title: Re: Bigger carb wanted
Post by: popik81 on September 20, 2012, 11:58:15 PM
try to find a 555 swiatek... polish engineer make few nice carbs... 555 with 2mm lower head, and fly wheell round4kg and good exhaust and few more modification will give you around 40bh
Title: Re: Bigger carb wanted
Post by: Tomasz on October 25, 2012, 02:34:49 PM
Dragging up a slightly old post here but it caught my imagination.

How about this http://www.fiat500classic.co.uk/store/product_info.php/cPath/42_139_159/products_id/2441

Then you can put a big Solex (Weber/Dellorto??) on. I have a used dellorto DHLA but i don't know if it would fit this manifold. 

Not sure this would work very well with a stock engine though!
Title: Re: Bigger carb wanted
Post by: Rusty's Uncle on October 25, 2012, 04:00:45 PM
That is a bit similar to the one I have only mine has a longer more gentle curve plus there are two more stud holes each side as those carbs are a hell of a weight and even then I had plans for an additional support from the tinware. I have put it back into store as Marc did not get back to me but as you say it would be a bit of a waste on a stock engine  ::)