Club126UK

For Sale & Wanted => Wanted: => Topic started by: Abiella on September 07, 2011, 03:47:09 PM

Title: Chrome Bumpers, wing mirrors and wipers
Post by: Abiella on September 07, 2011, 03:47:09 PM
Hi, i just bought myself a Fiat 126p...
He is lovely and a great limited edition Orange colour as he was one of the last ever made.
But I really like the classic look with all the Chrome, I know I can get it all pretty cheap from Germany. Does anyone have any advice on this?
Thanks, Abiella
Title: Re: Chrome Bumpers, wing mirrors and wipers
Post by: dajwid on September 07, 2011, 04:37:20 PM
Mmmmm one of the last made it will be red or yellow.

Chrome parts are more and more expensive all the time, even from Poland.

If you have found a cheap supplier in Germany, go for it.

I assume you have tried 126fan
http://club126uk.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4573.0n.

Title: Re: Chrome Bumpers, wing mirrors and wipers
Post by: Abiella on September 07, 2011, 04:54:49 PM
Thanks, Yeah I think ill go for it with the German supplier... loving looking at all the different options.
would you reccomend the Chrome with the rubber or without?

He was made in 1999 so not one of the Very Very last but pretty close... and he is Satzuma Orange, defiinetly not Yellow or Red... and im certain its the original colour.
apparently they made lots of fun coloured ones in the last few years.?

not 100% as im pretty new to the Fiat world! Loving it though!
not sure ive been sensible getting a left hand drive car on a provisional before ive even passed but still very happy with him!

Title: Re: Chrome Bumpers, wing mirrors and wipers
Post by: Eklipze3k on September 07, 2011, 06:27:48 PM
I still have some chrome wiper arms I think, they're for an LHD though so you'll need to do something about that, unless yours is also LHD?
Title: Re: Chrome Bumpers, wing mirrors and wipers
Post by: Abiella on September 08, 2011, 08:59:16 PM
Yes mine is LHD... how much would you want for them? im in Totnes, Devon. are you Near? postage wouldn't be very much anyway.
Title: Re: Chrome Bumpers, wing mirrors and wipers
Post by: Eklipze3k on September 12, 2011, 05:46:45 PM
I'm in Huddersfield so not very near at all ;)

Call it £20 posted? I'll not be able to post them until next Monday at the earliest though. PM me your details if that sounds reasonable :)
Title: Re: Chrome Bumpers, wing mirrors and wipers
Post by: ciaoflyer on September 12, 2011, 05:53:19 PM
I have a front bumper but it will need a re-chrome.
Title: Re: Chrome Bumpers, wing mirrors and wipers
Post by: Abiella on October 06, 2011, 04:31:30 PM
Hi,

Sorry I've only just got my internet back on.

Eklipze3k do you still have the wipers? How do I PM? if you send me your Bank details I will put the £20 in today.

and ciaoflyer how do I re-chrome? is that expensive? how much would you want for the Bumper?
So many questions !  ???
Thanks,

Abiella
Title: Re: Chrome Bumpers, wing mirrors and wipers
Post by: Rusty's Uncle on October 06, 2011, 06:07:56 PM
A proper rechrome job would set you back a fortune these days but I did see a bumper recently that had been treated with the new "chrome look" powder coating and it was very impressive but I believe also expensive. I did pick up a tip from Practical Classics this year for treating "tired" chrome work.
I tried it on my car and it seems to work pretty well. Scrunch up some kitchen aluminium foil and dip it in some cheap coke then use it as a scourer over the poor chrome. Give it a good scrub then let it dry. Then polish up with a wax car polish. The foil will not scratch existing chrome but is abrasive enough to remove rust stains then the tiny particles of foil and the phosphoric acid react with and colour the rust to delay further corrosion.  :D
Title: Re: Chrome Bumpers, wing mirrors and wipers
Post by: stuey on October 06, 2011, 07:47:48 PM
or submerge it in vinegar I have seen some awesome results on old school bmx frames when the chrome look comepletly shot!  :D