Club126UK

Members Misc => General Chatty Stuff => Topic started by: Rusty's Uncle on November 15, 2010, 06:02:46 PM

Title: LED Bulbs
Post by: Rusty's Uncle on November 15, 2010, 06:02:46 PM
I have finaly got round to trying out some LED Bulbs  as I had been thinking about this for a while. Not for posing reasons but I like to drive with the sidelights on just to make the little motor a bit more visable. Managed to order the wrong ones for the front sidelights but have got some others on the way so just got the rear stop & tail ones fitted at the moment & all seems OK. I wanted to try them out as the low power requirement means less load on the Dynamo & Battery. I just wondered if any of you guys out there had tried them  ???
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: Darrell on November 15, 2010, 08:29:29 PM
I been thinking about it but not got round to it yet :oops:
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: Amateb8 on November 15, 2010, 09:56:57 PM
I did some research on LED bulbs over a year ago and there are some threads on this. At the time I was seriously thinking of replacing my stop and tail lights but found that the reflectors in the tail lights and orange front lights were not design for LED bulbs. I think Chris Larkin or Chris Lewis looked into this as well. One of them posted some photos of the lights using standard bulbs vs. LEB bulbs. If my memory serves me well, I think from a visibility standpoint, you are better off using standard bulbs.
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: Pete126 on November 15, 2010, 10:01:07 PM
They are Dangerous and Expensive!   I think that's why VW have reverted back to standard bulbs in there new Passat [-/
Watch the video in this thread :)
http://club126uk.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4238.0
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: Darrell on November 15, 2010, 10:11:55 PM
So how do I get around this business of my indicators virtually stopping when I have the brakes, lights and wipers on?

Some days it's a choice, if you want them to see you indicator one has to switch something off :o
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: Pete126 on November 15, 2010, 10:26:11 PM
I would check and clean the multiplug and socket at the back of the light unit WD40 works well as a cleaner, If that doesn't solve the problem I would be looking for a bad earth ;)
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: Rusty's Uncle on November 16, 2010, 07:21:49 AM
Yes but like all technologies LEDs are developing all the time . I know this from my own experience at home experimenting with GU10 LED light bulbs. Plus most new lorries & buses seem to use LED lighting where possible so not sure about the dangerous bit these days.  :D
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: Darrell on November 16, 2010, 08:59:23 AM
I've cleaned and checked fittings, extra earths and all sorts.
Fact is the Air cooled had a rubbish charging system so was hoping the LED bulbs might help with that, it's the same with the 500 and generator.
Brakes on wipers slow down, anything on when the indicator is on and the indicators slow down....

Perhaps it's best to leave it like this as it's one of those things (character)

AT least I know when something is NOT working coz it wont slow the indicators or wipers etc :P
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: GTMaster on November 16, 2010, 07:08:52 PM
I can only agree with the above, experienced the same on a rainy day. What you do is: when revs are still high start indicating and as you slow down and start braking turn wipers off. Turn them back on again when neccessary (manual intermittent :) ) or if the car has come to a complete stop let go of the brake pedal. You can't always get what you want...  :D
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: smallcox on November 16, 2010, 07:55:39 PM
I know just where your coming from, you put your indicator on flash, flash, touch your brake and the things nearly stops. charge your battery over night and the problem is better but still present. >:( and always got noted on the dreaded MOT when the headlight where on and flashers would slowdown

I don't think the charging system is a problem on the car, check your wiring diagram, the problem I found is that there is a single wire from the battery to the fuse box and this has to supply everthing (except starter motor). I run a seperate fused wire for my headlights/tail lights circuit to split the supply loads and the indicators are not effected any more.  [-/
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: GTMaster on November 16, 2010, 08:24:49 PM
A lot of 126 owners do that or they swap the dynamo for an alternator . They also put in a relay for the headlight switch (and use  halogen bulbs and replace the vacuum operated window washers for electrical ones... just to make it more comfortable). I wanted it original and stock (i can live with it :))
I'm not into electrics but there's something else that needs to be fitted for the LEDs to work (tried fitting LEDs to another cars dashboard to see what it would be like and it just flashed and didn't emit any light).
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: Darrell on November 16, 2010, 08:57:16 PM
I run the lights on a separate supply on relays.

Maybe I'll have another go some time...
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: Rusty's Uncle on November 16, 2010, 09:49:11 PM
The indicators require an electronic flasher unit as opposed to the standard electric triggered unit if you are going for LEDs on that circuit. The advantage should be that the much lower power requirement, electronic flasher switching combined with the LED bulbs give them a better chance against the power drain of wipers , headlamps , side & stop lamps. So the uncomplicated fitting of the LED bulbs in side , stop & number plate lights should help in the equation  [-/
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: bis13 on November 16, 2010, 11:05:47 PM
i get the same on mine when indicating and try to keep the revs up as long as possible its a lottery as to how well they will work!
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: Amateb8 on November 27, 2010, 06:31:39 PM
The problem appear to be endemic on the 126 aircooled and 500 versions but not on the Bis.
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: Darrell on November 27, 2010, 06:35:52 PM
The Bis got a much upgraded altenator
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: Amateb8 on November 27, 2010, 10:28:51 PM
Ahh. At last something positive re the Bis!
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: Darrell on November 27, 2010, 11:51:38 PM
Shhh!

It had better electrics all round, better performance and more practical (but you know that)

But you didnt hear that from me :oops:
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: Darrell on November 30, 2010, 09:59:12 PM
I'm thinking the electronic flasher unit from 126fan.sk might resolve the air cooled slowing indicator issues.

Anyone tried this?
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: neilW on December 01, 2010, 12:21:10 PM
I had this problem on my BIS with braking a indicating,........It was only ever when the road was wet and only my right indicator??

checked out the connections in the back of the light, cleaned them and no problems since.
 [-/
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: bardy on December 02, 2010, 10:05:12 PM
couldnt you use these for the number plate light since your talking L.E.Ds:  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180512658412&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Title: Re: LED Bulbs
Post by: Amateb8 on February 23, 2011, 01:37:42 AM
I found these LED lights from a VW parts supplier (http://www.mybows-depot.net/). This arrangement may work as it does not rely on the tail light's reflectors.