Club126UK

Fiat 126 Chat => Tuning & Customising 126 Models => Topic started by: Pete126 on July 04, 2010, 05:56:15 PM

Title: 650cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: Pete126 on July 04, 2010, 05:56:15 PM
While on my travels collecting some parts, I dropped in on Steve (smallcox) to collect a few bits, and thought i'd share some photos of his 126 Wide Bodied Turbo.
I'm sure Steve will explain the details and answer any questions, The car is Awesome :P.

(http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m152/pedro126/ST001.jpg)

(http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m152/pedro126/ST002.jpg)

(http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m152/pedro126/ST003.jpg)

(http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m152/pedro126/ST004.jpg)

(http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m152/pedro126/ST005.jpg)

(http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m152/pedro126/ST006.jpg)

(http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m152/pedro126/ST007.jpg)

(http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m152/pedro126/ST008.jpg)

(http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m152/pedro126/ST009.jpg)

(http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m152/pedro126/ST010.jpg)

(http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m152/pedro126/ST011.jpg)

(http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m152/pedro126/ST012.jpg)

(http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m152/pedro126/ST013.jpg)

(http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m152/pedro126/ST014.jpg)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHefXn865Eo[/youtube]
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: Rusty's Uncle on July 04, 2010, 06:31:57 PM
Those are great pics & I have to agree that Steve is a remarkable guy with a 126 to match ! I look forward to meeting up with the pair again.
 [-/
Now just one thing Pete , how come you did not take any pics of the immaculate bodywork on my car  ???  ::)
I gave Toshi it's annual wash yesterday then broke down on the M1 today  :oops:
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: 1973/126 on July 04, 2010, 06:44:59 PM
 Great pics. I was always wondering what is hiding underneath that rear lid, and what a beauty!!! This is a serious bit of kit [-/
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: Eklipze3k on July 04, 2010, 06:45:33 PM
1st pic - I love phase shift, especially with small cars! Makes them look like toys :D
That engine bay though, ooft!
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: GTMaster on July 04, 2010, 07:28:57 PM
Fantastic looking car  [-/ I've always toyed with the thought of a turbo charged 126.... after seeing those pics i'll definitely make one in the future  :) Is that a Stromberg carb on it?
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: Darrell on July 04, 2010, 08:05:05 PM
Great car [-/ [-/

Alot of time, money, and heartache, but well worth the results [-/

Somehow just bolting-on a turbo doesn't look easy and must require breaking a few eggs...

The thing I love about cars like this is they are always evolving, a far cry from the keep-it-standard *yawn* boys  :oops:

I hope one day my work in progress will come close :P
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: RSPSTEVE on July 05, 2010, 07:06:44 PM
I have also seen this little beauty , the amount of time and work involved in this is amazing , a tribute to Steve (a very clever man!)

Steve
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: smallcox on July 07, 2010, 05:20:30 PM

Cheers Guys for the Comments,

Thanks Pete for great pic's, hope to see you all at Retro Ride in August. 

Well spotted GTMaster, near but that's a Hiff SU carb. Hope to get my 5th injector fitted for R/R.   

As for clever. NO just sad need to get out more [-/
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: Tomasz on July 10, 2010, 12:00:23 AM
Ah, i have been wondering about SU carbs (on a more standard car).  What manifold did you use?  Am i correct in thinking the dellorto fzd manifold works with an SU.
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: smallcox on July 10, 2010, 05:59:04 AM

Hi,
 Not familar with the fzd manifold but I no that the leyland mini mod was to bolt 2xSU's (inch and half) to a 40 weber manifold so it may match up depending the size of carb used. I did run an SU on an almost standard engine and it work fine and sounded great, as for manifold I made my own from and 1 and half inch steel elbow pipe and added flanges to suit.
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: Tomasz on July 16, 2010, 10:33:06 PM
The fzd is a popular but expensive single choke carb and sits at a similar angle to the SU with what i think is a similar fitting.  I would certainly like to try an SU on a standard engine.  You say it worked fine.  Was there any improvement to smooth-ness or performance?  I am not really looking for big power gains i am just interested in how it works - it also makes filter choices easier etc.
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: gsxr126 on July 16, 2010, 11:20:42 PM
You're right Jan, this car is awsome. 9 inch fats and a body to die for. No yawning here. Can only imagine what it goes like.

There wouldnt be a 126 (on the road) in Australia that even comes close to this in terms of modifications. Very good to see mods done with taste, obviously a lot of time has gone into them, rather than some of the bodgy stuff on youtube.

Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: Darrell on July 16, 2010, 11:50:34 PM
I run an fzd on mine, it's alot better at higher rpm than with a standard webber, seems better on fuel too. The webber heats up alot as it's bolted directly on the engine.
From what Rusty says the FZD manifold will allow an SU to be bolted directly on.

I tried an SU type carb for a while on mine with similar results however the Dellorto FZD seems to allow smoother running throughout the rev range, doesn't get as hot so think evaporation isn't as much of an issue with a carb mounted a way away from the head.

It stands to reason, bigger carb - bigger air flow for higher revs, smaller carb seems to draw as much air as it can then draws the only thing left - fuel..

I polished the inside of the manifold and opened it to match the hole on the FZD, watch the castings on e bay in ally, they're not the best quality items I've seen.

Hunt around for the FZD, I was lucky and got one for the price of a second hand SU however Dellorto UK have got only a little repair kit for these carbs so watch out for worn ones or incomplete carbs.
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: smallcox on July 17, 2010, 11:42:42 AM
Hi,

Just to come back to you about running the SU carb on the FZD manifold, I think Rusty "HI RUSTY" posted a recent picture with a inch and quarter SU mounted on the manifold. I did run a gas flowed inch and a half SU with no problems a bit tight for head room but did fit.

As for running it did pulse slightly which I had to remove the damper spring to stop over fueling at idle but with a smaller SU this may not be a problem, I had a £60 Rolling road dial in of the needle and never had any drivablity issues, 3" ram pipe on the mouth off the carb with ducting going to ths near side wing and K&N filter mounted in the back wing for freash cold air 8). As the cyclinder head was slightly modded and sports exhaust, It.s difficult to compare performance however I would say mph was good.

The only real issue was the induction noise was louder than the standard carb/filter.  Darrell right that the carb not over the cyclinder head and mounted on a manifold allows for cooler running.

Steve [-/
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: Scratchski on July 17, 2010, 01:29:01 PM
Man that is AWESOME!!

i want dat wun!  ;D

was that an original 126 engine used to build that turbo lump? im getting more and more impressed at whats do-able with these wee cars  [-/

was that a custom wide arch kit or can that be bought somewhere?

love the colour too, amazing wee car dude  [-/
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: smallcox on July 18, 2010, 06:33:07 PM

Hi Scrathski,

Yes, started off a standard 126 engine and the body work is all steel (custom)

Cheers for the comments [-/
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: Ksm169 on July 22, 2010, 06:55:21 AM
Whoa! That's the nicest 126 I have ever seen. I'm so jealous! Even my girlfriend thinks its beautiful and she hates yellow cars.
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: Tomasz on July 27, 2010, 09:43:00 PM
Really interesting to hear the feedback on SU's.  They seem like a good option if only for the price.  Darrell -  well done finding and FZD for that price. I spent ages searching when i was thinking of getting and thought i found a really cheap one in Australia but couldnt get in touch with the seller!
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: Worm on August 10, 2010, 10:34:06 PM
Awesome :salute:
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: 126buggy on August 16, 2010, 11:29:14 PM
hi..i know very little about 126's but used to race minis, the su is ok but has anyone tried a hif???  much better
Title: Re: 700cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: smallcox on August 29, 2010, 11:41:51 AM
Hi Buggy126,

The SU is a great carb and sound awsome mounted with a performance filter. I now run a Hiff carb and all I can say is it gets the job done [-/

Smallcox
Title: Re: 650cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: DEYAN IYI on January 15, 2011, 08:28:53 PM
Hi, smallcox! Not a bad machine ;D It's a crazy one </8

I would ask you to tell us something more about the engine inside,
unless it's a kitchen's secret :-X 8)

About the turbine, compression ratio, pistons (if not standard),
do you run the normal 263* camshaft timed or not, or it's another?
If I remember good, you mentioned about the con rods experience?

Sing us all about it!!!  :)

Keep astounding the people! [-/

Kind regards!

Deyan
Title: Re: 650cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: smallcox on January 25, 2011, 11:34:32 AM
Hi All

Sorry been working too many hours, so a bit slow to respond :oops:

Yes it's crazy or should I say it's making me crazy :P

The turbo is from the GT15 garret range compression at present is runnng 7.8:1.
Piston and con rods from rover engine with 80mm bores.
Camshaft is original spec (263 but opened up the overlap to 112 and increased lift to 10.2 valve lift) tapped on a couple off degrees either side to increase to 272 duration so pretty much runs the same as a 263 but with more zing. [-/

Smallcox
Title: Re: 650cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: mcbonio on March 20, 2011, 02:23:17 PM

Stunning little machine.! One of the best i've seen so far..

Where did you get that little chin spoiler on the front, it looks great... I want one.!
Title: Re: 650cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: smallcox on March 24, 2011, 06:21:38 PM


Where did you get that little chin spoiler on the front, it looks great... I want one.!


It's a standatd Triumph spitfire 1500 spoiler [-/
Title: Re: 650cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: mcbonio on March 24, 2011, 07:00:36 PM

haha so it is.. it looks great.!

What about the little tear drop shaped bumpers? What are they?
Title: Re: 650cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: smallcox on March 25, 2011, 09:24:45 PM
steel over riders, but a bought an old car i buckets so not sure, maybe A35 :-
Title: Re: 650cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: Kipster on May 22, 2011, 06:19:45 AM
I had chance to look over this car last week and i was bowled over. I have never been one for custom specials, but this one is SO special!  8)
Totally exceded my expectations, this one has been built properly, a totally amazing car.
Title: Re: 650cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: KAL SPL on May 22, 2011, 07:13:33 AM
Thats an awsome little car !
Title: Re: 650cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: badboy on May 22, 2011, 08:48:59 PM
what everyone else said a bit of this :o a bit of that ;D and a whole lot of 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
that's one shweeet motor :P   
Title: Re: 650cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: Blonde126 on May 23, 2011, 04:49:23 PM
Fantastic! It's incredibly nippy around the track :D
Title: Re: 650cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: poxxxy on March 10, 2014, 12:50:24 AM
Beautiful car :)
Title: Re: 650cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: Northern947 on March 22, 2015, 11:25:03 AM
Hi Steve, what body kit is that? I really like it. I have been looking around for one, plus thought of making my own.
Title: Re: 650cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: DeVilleChris on March 22, 2015, 11:35:45 AM
I think it is a one off that Steve made himself by moving each panel out individually, but he will have to confirm! :)
Title: Re: 650cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: Pete126 on March 24, 2015, 10:47:40 PM
As Chris said, Steve bought all four corners put the panels on with 3" inch spacers then filled the gaps with metal strips welded in then a thin layer of filler to blend them in, the bonnet has a 6" inch section in the center then there's just the side skirts to sort out :P
Title: Re: 650cc Wide Bodied, Turbo with Intercooler. (smallcox)
Post by: Dibles on April 05, 2015, 04:14:43 PM
Amazing Car!