Club126UK
For Sale & Wanted => Ebay Bits & Pieces => Topic started by: 1973/126 on April 16, 2010, 08:50:16 AM
-
Now this looks absolutely mental. Looks like lots of hard work went in to it, and I`m sure it will sell before the auction end. If I had the money...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170473595401#description
-
Me too!
Got to much stuff on the go at the mo thoguh.... :(
-
I know what you mean ;)
-
ad love it make every single one of my m8s jelus lol but its gota have a good power to weight ratio on it tho
-
If you check completed listings, this was only bought a few weeks ago, but the first seller (who built it) explained that it needs new drive shafts as the sleeved ones didn't last very long.
unfinished project always worry me!
-
Dont understand why you would cut the body up to fit a fan. Doesnt look standard to me. At first i thouhgt it was one of those bullet hole stickers
-
Dont understand why you would cut the body up to fit a fan. Doesnt look standard to me. At first i thouhgt it was one of those bullet hole stickers
It doesn't look like alot of thought has gone into the fan cut out. But the description says " All the work has been carried out by a fantastic engineer" So it must be me thats missing something.
-
and look at the "fantastically engineered" front crossmember, engine support, chain drive, etc, etc.......
I'm sorry, i shouldnt knock other peoples projects but no one wants a death trap on the road. I'm thinking a lot more developement is needed here before its roadworthy.
Its the first one i've seen that has the engine mounted to the left. As a result the chain drive looks to be more complicated (read heavy) than necessary.
each to their own i suppose...
-
What in all of you opinion would have to be done to make this project "right" then?
What's wrong basicly with it? I have seen a lot of these in Poland and it looks similar to what I remember.... and all these I remember were really quick and huge fun for a long time!! None of these were "dead" after few hundred miles.
-
For the money it went for it would be a good buy, probably worth it just in parts. But heres what i would do to improve (make safe) it.
As Michael mentioned the drive shafts didnt last too long and using a CRV diff it would have to be flipped. I have found that using a flipped diff causes the actual "bottom" of the diff to run dry of oil. Causing added heat to the bearings and eventually failure. This happened to my nissan diff after about half an hour on the hoist at varying speeds. The fix is to use a dedicated front drive diff out of a 4WD. I have since bought a front diff out of a Toyota Prado and am in the process of fitting this. The driveshaft is easy. I have a machinist friend of mine who simply machined the outer end of the nissan shafts to fit the original 126 silent block couplings. This mod seemed to prove reliable so far..........
The ad mentioned that the original engine mountings were used. I dont know what mods were done to do this but a powerful engine needs more than just the stock eng/gb mounts in order to handle a reasonable amount of torque. I'm using suzuki swift gti engine mounts on custom fabbed frame that fits within the engine bay and same for the diff. I suspect that this car would eat engine mounts for b/fast lunch and dinner, and probably the main cause of the driveshafts not lasting too long.
The chain drive seems a little fragile with such a small spindle to turn a CRV diff, but i dont understand why you would mount the engine with the chain drive mounted to the rear. My bike engine turns clockwise in order to turn a tailshaft that should spin clockwise. Unless a CBR engine spins anticlock wise??, this causes all kinds of problems with diffs being driven backwards etc....
The front end x member needs to be stronger in my opinion. Everyone has their own thought on how to design an IFS so i wont go there. I've had a few backflips on this one too.
And get rid of that stupid fan. There are a ton of ways to cool your bay.
As i said before I'm not knocking this project and i would more than likely buy it if i lived over there. Theres just a few things gathered from the ad that dont quite fit with the fantastically engineered theme, and i'm thinking this will be a while in development for the new owner before it sees regular road duty.