Club126UK
Fiat 126 Chat => Your Restorations => Topic started by: fatdarryl on May 18, 2009, 08:19:59 PM
-
So.. now that it starts..yay!...time to whip it into shape. Next up, anything labour intensive cos i'm getting made redundant..boooo! Prob start with stripping brakes and suspension to see what can be reconned
Here are some "Befores"
(http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt6/heyitsfatdarryl/4421_80204439439_702304439_1752031_.jpg)
(http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt6/heyitsfatdarryl/n702304439_1752030_4680496.jpg)
(http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt6/heyitsfatdarryl/4421_80204424439_702304439_1752029_.jpg)
The end result will be sleek simple and black!
-
Looks quite tidy Darryl, Look forward to seeing the reanimation :)
-
yeah its not too bad, but been outside for 4 years and not moved, so lots perished/ corroded. Bit of elbow grease tho eh?
-
Yeah! it should just buff up LoL :D
-
yeah its just surface rust huh? Bit of a wire brush it'll be fine! [-/
Engines peachy tho, low mileage... cant remember exactly tbh, but its single thousands
-
great start darryl cant wait to see the progress [-/
-
Got a bit underway today, taken the front suspension apart and given the brakes an inspection. The rust is actually a lot better than I thought. Brakes just need a clean up outside, everything inside is perfect!
here's the suspension coming apart...
(http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt6/heyitsfatdarryl/20090520_123649.jpg)
(http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt6/heyitsfatdarryl/20090520_130329.jpg)
And here it is with the leaf removed
(http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt6/heyitsfatdarryl/20090520_164835.jpg)
This is a bugger tho... Steering knuckle completely fused to the track rod... I'll get me blow torch!
(http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt6/heyitsfatdarryl/20090520_164851.jpg)
-
the bis looks tidy, im sure youll get it running soon enough?
how are the king pins things? they are usually worn on theese little fiats...
-
Kingpins: Passenger side wobbles about like Elvis's knees, drivers side is seized solid! Kind of why I've started on the front, that way I can prob MOT it half way through by doing all the things I know are fails first.
-
Re fused joint , an old trick I was taught years ago . Get a decent size lump of metal , some thing like a club hammer head pressed to one side of the eye. Give a good hard tap with a decent size hammer to the opposite side of the eye. If you catch it right the tiny vibration you set up will release the taper. If the ball joints are sound but the rubber boot is shot then you can also get the seals as a separate item on eBay [-/
-
Hey, thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go! Sounds a bit more gracious than a torch! Spot on with the ball joints, they are tip top but the boots are shot, already spied those on Ebay... I'm a pro Ebay hound... read as: I also own an Alfa Romeo ;D :cry:
-
So..... keeping my eyes open for a supercharger.... [-/