Club126UK
For Sale & Wanted => Wanted: => Topic started by: ger on October 12, 2007, 09:33:22 AM
-
Hi Folks,
Does anyone have a spare 650 head lying aound that they want to sell......
I was removing the exhaust elbows last night and managed to shear off the studs....
Thanks
Gerry
-
oops... i did this and had to drill them out. you can do this if you have the right tools. but do not use a reverse thread stud remover as it will break for sure!! then you must drill that bugger as well!! go slowly and they will come out.
-
I did drill them out and retapped to M8........But I'd still like to have a spare head ....just in case ! :lol:
I had bolts in mine, studs would make so much more sense, thats what I'llbe replacing them with....
Cheers
Gerry
-
i had studs and they still shear off when you try them . it must be the originals just get brittle with all the heat and age. so new ones should be fine.
have a look on german ebay "peter auteill" has got new heads normally and he is cheap.
-
Hi Gerry
fitting helicoils in the tapped holes is always a good alternative to just retapping the holes to a bigger size as it removes the oxidisation issue due to the threaded coils being usually stainless steel and once located into the alloy a much stronger fixing than the origonal alloy thread, also as i know you will have done a little copper ease on the bolt threads goes a long way to easing ht eproblem of ceased bolts shearing
cheers Doug
-
Cheers Doug !
I have a big tub of copper ease, comes from a long time of working with old junk !
Cheers
Gerry
-
i also have a spare head but it has regular holes on one side and large studs on the other from having to retap it twice!
-
i have a complete head here,dunno if studs or bolts,but is in good nick,took it off to put panda head on...........pain to pack and send tho,but if you get really stuck give me a shout