Club126UK

Fiat 126 Chat => Tuning & Customising 126 Models => Topic started by: thepuddlejumper on November 14, 2016, 10:57:00 PM

Title: Bike and Subaru engine conversions
Post by: thepuddlejumper on November 14, 2016, 10:57:00 PM
Just recieved an email from Z Cars re their development of kits to allow the installation of either a bike engine or Subaru engine into a 500 or a 126 air cooled. The kits won't be cheap as it's Z Cars, See link below

https://www.zcars.org.uk/

Look under news

Below is the response from Z Cars


Hi Ralph,

Apologies for the delayed response. I have been in Spain over the past few weeks looking for Fiat 500 and Minis to act as donor cars for our development fleet. I cannot provide all the answers at this time as we need to build and test our cars and ensure the kits are fit for purpose before we begin selling them. We will have a Hayabusa with a QBA drive and a Subaru engine. We are currently researching other Subaru engines as the engines are rare and then there is the issue of the gearbox having to be adapted as the engine is turned round requiring reverse gears to act as forward gears and a single forward gear acting as the revised reverse. I hope that makes sense!

The choice of either conversion from a kit only perspective is far cheaper than the Mini, but the rarity or exclusivity of both engines and as previously mentioned, the gear set kit required to flip the drive gears, means the hardware is pricey before you factor in labour.

On the SVA, we are looking at having the cars put through rigorous tests in one the EU regions, as we understand passing the registration regulations for limited run cars, lessens the burden of gaining the necessary certification in other EU member states, plus the admin can be reused to help satisfy obligations in further countries.

Prices can only be determined once we have our demo fleet completed. Apologies if this is disappointing news, but we must develop these kits responsibly.
Title: Re: Bike and Subaru engine conversions
Post by: Fat650 on November 23, 2016, 10:59:43 AM
I'm sure they used to have prices on their site back in the day cause  i looked into buying one of their kits. I think landed in Australia it was up around the 18k + mark?

Their kits are awesome though!

Having said that, im doing a very similar conversion to their subaru engined one. At a guess, i'd say it'll cost a lot more than 18k by the time its all done. To give people an idea, my gearbox to do this conversion is worth more than a 126.

Neither of these is for the fainthearted or those with a tight budget but for the small group who do venture to the dark side....HEAVEN!
Title: Re: Bike and Subaru engine conversions
Post by: Club1n on November 23, 2016, 12:49:51 PM
There;s a guy on youtube who's putting a Subaru EJ-20 into his BIS, which I think i'm going to do after I've blown up these 2 engines I have left!  :P They can put out some pretty decent power!
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJE9e8hZnS4[/youtube]
Title: Re: Bike and Subaru engine conversions
Post by: 126blackbird on November 23, 2016, 05:22:43 PM
I have a part completed bike conversion 126, some of the work was carried out by Z-Cars. I have a few health issues and cant see me getting it finished. If anyone is interested please contact me and I can give you more details