Club126UK
Fiat 126 Chat => Fiat 126 Chat => Topic started by: sk39 on May 03, 2016, 05:00:02 PM
-
Hi all,
I have been looking at purchasing a 126 and have come across several Polish imports which were manufactured in the late 90's.
This makes insurance quotes very difficult / almost impossible.
Has anyone had experience with insuring these newer import models, would you be able to tell me what companies do and how reasonable their prices are?
Thanks.
-
Hi, I have a 1999 and 1997 126. I found that Adrian flux and diamond were able to insure with just a vin and aviva currently insure them (but my sure if they can do it with just the vin)
-
you have to ring them up
just get a quote on the latest aircooled you can find and then when they check the car details on the phone say it's a 199X or whatever
should be able to get insured by anyone as long as it's been imported
do NOT choose elephant
Hate them!
-
Thanks for your replies so far. I spoke to Lancaster, Footman James, and one other. They said that as the latest aircooled model is shown as ending in the 80's their underwriters will struggle to insure it. I will give Aviva a call and see if they can assist.
GoCompare does it through Admiral however £750 for a 652cc seems a bit OTT.
-
Just spoke to Aviva at length. The sales rep who was quite helpful had to run it past their underwriter who decided that they wont be able to insure it due to them not finding a 126 model of this year on their system.
-
depends how old you are, I got insured for 850 quid last year as my first car (age 21)
quotes for next year, 1 year NCB are around 350 quid for me on Admiral
-
The call took an hour and a half for them to sort it, but seems strange they were able to insure my 1999 fiat but not yours....
-
Any call taking more than about 15 minutes should tell you to put the phone down, they're obviously taking the proverbial.
For all non-standard insurance you need the specialist brokers. I am astonished that people like Aviva are even considering imports, and I'm not surprised to see stupid premiums where they are. For any special, you need someone who understands the market, and the majors don't.
Have a look at the lists here, and add in Lancaster, which I see you have already done.
http://club126uk.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9886.msg73269#msg73269
-
I've got my imported 126 insured through Admiral. Renewed it last month for about £200.
I called Aviva too, as my other car is now insured through them, but they couldn't find the 126 on their system so they couldn't insure it, so stayed with Admiral for the 126.
-
I just imported and insured 2 polish 126's one is a 1999 the other is a 1988 - I insured them on a multi car policy through Adrian flux for £200 for both including breakdown cover. I was on the phone for an hour though.... Sorted now.... Good luck getting yours MOT'd emissions on a 99' with no CAT?........
-
Got my 99 mot'd no problems. Should be ok if you have a friendly mechanic. And if its the elx it might have the original cat?