Club126UK

Fiat 126 Chat => Fiat 126 Chat => Topic started by: dadandlad on April 14, 2016, 10:33:55 PM

Title: RHD Headlights
Post by: dadandlad on April 14, 2016, 10:33:55 PM
What sort of demand is there for RHD headlights

What would you pay for a pair of RHD headlights

Just wondering as I have a method in mind for supplying them but need to know if it is worth the effort
Title: Re: RHD Headlights
Post by: Joe Webb on April 15, 2016, 09:37:42 AM
Even the lhd lights seem to cost 50 quid on ebay and rhd ones are non existant

Could charge a premium
Title: Re: RHD Headlights
Post by: Joe Webb on April 15, 2016, 09:38:21 AM
I would love some btw if you get hold of any  ::)
Title: Re: RHD Headlights
Post by: Xylaquin on April 15, 2016, 09:51:45 AM
What's your idea/method?
Title: Re: RHD Headlights
Post by: mintex on April 15, 2016, 10:44:09 AM
I'd be interested as i think ours are getting a little worse for wear now.
Title: Re: RHD Headlights
Post by: stuey on April 15, 2016, 01:24:50 PM
People laughed at me when I paid £90 for a nos set of fiat headlamps starting to look like a bargain now....
Title: Re: RHD Headlights
Post by: amam on April 18, 2016, 08:08:37 AM
Even the lhd lights seem to cost 50 quid on ebay and rhd ones are non existant

Could charge a premium

the RHD 126 headlamps are the same as bond bug, reliant kitten, early metro, allegro, dolomite, toledo, hillman hunter etc

if you search ebay the new RHD headlamps come with the bowl and retaining ring with halogen bulbs, they are £88 each but from a new batch that get made every year

they are mostly listed as metro, allegro or dolomite headlamps
Title: Re: RHD Headlights
Post by: Joe Webb on April 18, 2016, 11:50:30 AM
Ah.

did not know that

Thanks for the info!
Title: Re: RHD Headlights
Post by: Gadge on April 18, 2016, 03:10:50 PM
I must be lucky then cos i paid £35 for two brand new ones about 6 years ago  :P
Title: Re: RHD Headlights
Post by: Bar Vitelli on April 20, 2016, 04:17:13 PM
I got hold of a healthy supply a couple of years back and managed to sell them all but did not make much profit out of them after time postage and other costs, basically the money I made meant I could keep 6 sets for myself without cost so it was worthwhile from that perspective.

There's probably more money in restoring broken lawn mowers for a man of your skills, Mark, I've got one that you can have for free if you are interested but let me know before my eBay auction ends.

 ;D
Title: Re: RHD Headlights
Post by: alastairq on April 21, 2016, 10:38:38 AM
Erm....I have a Bis...and both headlights suffered from rusted-out reflectors [is that the main reason for needing new ones?].

I have purchased [from Czech] new LHD headlights, which were cheap enough [circa 16 euros a throw?}

I have taken my original, rusted, RHD headlights, and carefully removed the glass lenses........by cutting around the sealant at the edges...bit of a dig about, but possible, watch fingers if using a stanley knife?

Once the glasses were out, I did the same with the LHD glasses on the new reflectors....

Then I got hold of some  U-pol Tigerseal sealant. This comes in a cartridge, cheap enough off eBay.

[Watch the stuff, however, it really does stick things together fast and almost permanently...wear some sort of protection on hands, or be prepared to be picking black stuff off fingers for a week or so?}

The a small amount of Tigerseal was put into the ledge on the new reflectors, simply to locate and hold the RHD glasses.

The the glasses are inserted into the ledge on the LHD reflectors.......and more Tigerseal squeezed in, and smoothed off, [to replicate the original sealant]

Set aside to dry out thoroughly.

As it happened, I also obtained off eBay  a sound RHD headlamp unit for about 15 quids.......which is a standby.

When messing like this, avoid any hefty levering to extract the original glasses....sometimes small chips can be made in the edges...not the end of the world, as the sealant will cover them anyway, but glass dust and tiny slivers can really be a health nuisance.

Anyway, come the day, MoT man will be happy with the shiny lenses.

Posh pointy halogen bulbs can be had that have the same fittings as the original bulbs, if needs be.....or, new LHD units can be had cheaply enough with the 3 pronged fitment.

Title: Re: RHD Headlights
Post by: cider on April 21, 2016, 12:16:04 PM
Hi
Did the same as above but used a heat gun to soften the sealant :) you could stick them in the oven does the same job

Pete
Title: Re: RHD Headlights
Post by: danthemanic on June 29, 2019, 07:44:44 PM
Sorry to drag up an old thread.

Lucas part LUB429 is what's used for the old Austins and Triumphs.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Title: Re: RHD Headlights
Post by: Ricksy1121 on August 04, 2019, 10:40:13 PM
Even the lhd lights seem to cost 50 quid on ebay and rhd ones are non existant

Could charge a premium

the RHD 126 headlamps are the same as bond bug, reliant kitten, early metro, allegro, dolomite, toledo, hillman hunter etc

if you search ebay the new RHD headlamps come with the bowl and retaining ring with halogen bulbs, they are £88 each but from a new batch that get made every year

they are mostly listed as metro, allegro or dolomite headlamps

I love this information, I have a bond bug as well missing headlights so my choices have opened up massively haha
Title: Re: RHD Headlights
Post by: danthemanic on August 04, 2019, 11:10:21 PM

I love this information, I have a bond bug as well missing headlights so my choices have opened up massively haha

The set of LUB429s that I bought have slightly different mounting points, so I've not used them in my Fiat.  Let me know if you want to buy them from me, still in box.
Title: Re: RHD Headlights
Post by: Ricksy1121 on August 07, 2019, 03:32:38 PM

I love this information, I have a bond bug
The set of LUB429s that I bought have slightly different mounting points, so I've not used them in my Fiat.  Let me know if you want to buy them from me, still in box.

Pm’d