Club126UK
Fiat 126 Chat => Fiat 126 Chat => Topic started by: jkwinning on October 25, 2015, 01:01:04 PM
-
So my restroation project of my 1991 126 BiS is nearly complete so priced up insurance (something i shouldve done earlier) and as a first time driver (hoping to pass in december) thought it would be somewhat cheap with only being a 700cc but was kinda shocked when the cheapest qoute i could get was £2200 (https://m.quote.comparethemarket.com/Car/quotes-page)
Was wondering if anyone knows any cheaper companies or any specialist companies for them.
Any help would be much appreciated as i would rather keep it that get something with cheaper insurance.
-
that's insane. My first year of insurance when I was 17 costs me £1200 for the year, and that was with other named drivers in a 2007 Fiat Panda. Now I'm 24 and have 6 points and 2 car accidents behind me, yet my annual premium is still below half of what you were quoted.
What variables did you enter when you were looking?
Your age, expected mileage and voluntary excess are the big three. Some would say location, but I don't imagine Rhuddlan is a crime hotspot.
In your restoration project did you modify anything and declare it to the insurance comparison site? If so, that's your culprit most likely.
-
In terms of modifying it only very small things were done so didnt notify them of it.
Entered that i was 17 expected 2000 miles a year (it'll most likely be more though) and £500 excess.
You would assume right about Rhuddlan, mostly old people who do nothing.
-
I put myself as a 17 year old student and managed to get £1210 from Carrot.
Try confused.com?
-
Im looking for one without telematics as i don't want to be limited to when i can go out. Otherwise it wouldnt be so bad.
-
Anything at all out of the mind-numbingly ordinary is a complete no-no on the price comparison web sites. Even for a 60-something doddery old fart like me, with 40 years of accident free driving, I can easily get a quote over £3000 if I want a good laugh.
You need to look at the specialist classic car insurers, of which I gave a list some months ago on this forum. Try to get your annual mileage limited (although on my Middlebridge I stated 7000 mpa and they gave me 10K for no extra cost). Search this forum for classic insurance and you'll find lots of names.
-
Oh, and to get the best price you WILL need to put in the legwork. Typically I reckon to spend at least 3 hours and maybe 10 or 11 phone calls (and callbacks) to call around all the names I can find. If you can get the price down from £2200 to about (say) £500, that's saved you £1700, or over £500/hour - a fair rate of pay, I'd say :o
-
I found that putting up to 5000 miles cheapest. It really is a case of changing every detail to work the best price. In a peugoet 106 my insurance was 2700 at 17