Club126UK
Fiat 126 Chat => Fiat 126 Chat => Topic started by: Joe Webb on October 20, 2015, 07:40:03 PM
-
Hi all,
I'm in no real rush to get extra luggage space, but I've had this question bugging me on and off for a while now. I keep changing my mind about which would be better for my usage.
the toss up between them is regarding aerodynamics and weight distribution.
on one hand, the luggage rack is good because it won't affect the aerodynamics of the car so won't affect fuel economy or top speed as much as the roof rack. On the other hand, it will distribute weight further towards the back and reduce load on the front wheels which I am hesitant about.
The roof rack would hold more stuff and would be more useful around town, but most of my luggage transporting comes from driving 160 miles to and from uni; I don't know how often I would use it around town. that being said, the increased capacity of the roof rack would be useful.
aesthetically I think i prefer the look of the roof rack, but that's incidental as I would remove it when not in use, although I would get a classic style rack because hipster :-X
don't know how the luggage rack would affix, so if it requires any holes that aren't already in the boot lid then that's a deal breaker.
Basically I'm wondering how much a roof rack would affect the aerodynamics and fuel economy, and how much the luggage rack would affect the handling.
or i could get both and drive around looking like I'm on the mongol rally ;D (jk)
-
Buy a bis. Fold back seats down. You have a van. Perfect.
No. I know this isn't helpful advice ;-)
-
Roof rack is best and most effective. Don't worry about aerodynamics. If you load it up you will go faster (downhill!) ;D
-
Haha, nice try bar vitelli, mass doesn't affect acceleration due to gravity ;)
I think I am leaning towards the roof rack though
-
Luggage rack would spoil aerodynamics behind the car causing more drag and affect the cooling of the engine.
-
The luggage rack would be in the cars wake, it wouldn't cause much drag