Author Topic: The bike engine project begins!  (Read 2587 times)

AmusingUsername

The bike engine project begins!
« on: May 16, 2015, 10:11:34 AM »
Good morning everyone. Very new to the world of the 126, so let me introduce myself and Pedro (as the wife has named him). Pedro is a 126 bis I impulse bought on eBay this week without even seeing it, I know, terrible idea but I fell in love and he was too far away to go and see. Here he is being loaded up onto the transporter down in Kent:

He currently has no engine but has had the mounts for a West Wales Trike Shack chain driven diff fitted. So my initial thoughts are to continue down the bike engine route. Here he is unloaded and on my drive (his new home for the foreseeable future!!!)

As you can see he's got a shiny set of banded steel wheels that make him look quite aggressive but also rub the arches pretty bad. I need to see how much adjustment is left in the coilovers & rose jointed front suspension he came with but I think I'd prefer something a bit smaller & lighter (weight might become a bit of a theme on this project). So first thing I did when I got home from work was have a look at what I'd actually bought. Went to jack up the front left corner and the jack point moved, the floor stayed where it was. Not a good start! Managed to jack up the rear jack point fine so I could asses the damage!!!

So after a quick once over I came to the following conclusion. Bad news: The places that had started to rot were held together with filler. Good news: he doesn't seem to have been in an accident and there are only really five areas of concern. Big holes on both sides of the floor where the front jacking point is, here's a picture:

Holes on both sides where there is a cross brace towards the rear of the floor but forward of the rear jacking point (barely big enough to get a sharp pokey stick into). And then there is the inner and outer front panel which is looking a little like Swiss cheese. Some interesting repairs here: rust cut out, sheet of aluminium glued to the back face, filler on the outside, coat of paint! Some of the filler doesn't seem to have been mixed correctly and is still soft. Either that or I have bought a car held together by chewing gum! Everywhere else seems totally original and in really good nick.

In conclusion I'm still happy with what I've got for the money, just going to need a little more work than the seller had made obvious (or to give him the benefit of the doubt was aware of)...

I need to spend today doing a few jobs on the vw t4 camper I share with some friends. Getting him (Wally) ready for the summer. Not expecting Pedro to progress much this weekend but I'll see what happens tomorrow...

Obviously the reason I'm here is for advice and to share my journey, any newbie tips, common places to look for rot I might have missed etc. are very welcome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mics126

Re: The bike engine project begins!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 09:35:22 PM »

Obviously the reason I'm here is for advice and to share my journey, any newbie tips, common places to look for rot I might have missed etc.

:welcome to the forum. as for rust i found basically where ever there is metal :P.

best of luck with your project

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 09:42:32 AM »
 :welcome to the forum GB,
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

AmusingUsername

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 05:20:51 PM »
I was looking at the subscription options, does anyone have a recommendation? How useful are the workshop manuals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 07:58:23 PM »
We have everything you need to know in the subscribers section :P

Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

dadandlad

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 08:25:40 PM »
Hi
Welcome to the forum
As a new member and subscriber myself I have found the subscribers section invaluable but I am rebuilding my BIS back to standard
Certainly worth a dabble at £5.00

DeVilleChris

• Subscribers
    • Club 126 UK
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 05:40:11 PM »
Welcome to the forums..

The Subscribers Section is brilliant is always updating, worth it every day of the week..

Good Luck in your build :)

Chris
1979 Fiat 126 DeVille
1979 Fiat 900T Amigo

Craig126

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 11:29:15 AM »
Hi shame about the floor but repair panels are cheap or can be made up easily. I did see this and found its had some money spent on it, front and rear disc conversion aswell as adjustable suspension.

Have you got any more pictures of the rear mounts for the chain drive, I did sort of see them in the ebay add but wasn't very clear. Im also going to bike engine route with a zzr1100 or cbr 1000f.