Author Topic: Intruducing myself  (Read 3961 times)

Kowalski

Intruducing myself
« on: August 05, 2009, 08:21:52 PM »
Hi all,

My name's Andrea and I write from Italy. I've been lurking the forum for about 2 weeks now and I find it very informative and useful: I thought I could exchange a couple words with some chaps...

I really like the UK and I think the level of passion for cars there is unmatched. Little Fiats scene is even more active there than in Italy.

Why am I here? I used to drive a Personal4 126 in dark blue...which I wrote off one sad day (first and hopefully last roll of my life)
Now that I am 32, and a much more accomplished driver, I stumbled upon my girlfriend mum's little 126 in dreadful conditions and begging for some love. The quirky little car fueled the memories, the fun, and maybe some future project, so I thought I could introduce myself here.

I particularly found the "are we normal" thread akeen to my tastes, my attention being drawn by superminis...and big V12s with little love in between.

That's it for the moment,

a big hello to all the forum. [-/

Andre

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
Re: Intruducing myself
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 08:32:48 PM »
welcome to forum Andre  (-*

Are there many 126's still on the road in Italy?

Kowalski

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 08:50:26 PM »
No, not many.
It is amazing how many can be found in 70s and 80s Italian movies, it really was a popular little thing. I guess it fell victim of the so called "incentives" we had in Italy by our government: a bonus to scrap old cars and get new ones. I think the UK had something similar recently...
Bear in mind that 5 to 10 years ago, Fiat wansn't a very healthy venture and desperately needed to shift some new metal.

If I can remember correctly, some 2500 Maserati Bi turbos were scrapped during the period. I think they're not so bad as Clarkson says  :) (BMW 3series-ish).

As somebody from Eastern Europe here in the forum says (I apologise, can't recall his name), scrapyards are full of 126s.

It may sound strange, but Italy is not a particularly cultivated country when it comes to cars. The everyday rush to work here in Rome is very dull.

roobeh

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 10:46:38 PM »
i never thought the scrappage system would have a good effects on the retro car scene. :-

i'd love to go on a road trip around italy in an old panda 4x4 with me mates. can't imagine the locals would take to kindly to me playing bumper cars with them though. still, i can dream..  :P

Kowalski

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:05:01 AM »
Thanks Chris and roobeh for the welcome.

Hey, I've been to Swansea, and it's lovely. Can you confirm? I have fond memories of my holiday there.

(and I met LED ZEP JOHN BONHAM's cousin there. She taught english, and she was beautiful...)

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 08:07:14 AM »
Welcome Aboard **-
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

roobeh

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 03:31:20 AM »
Yep swansea's great, except for the weather ::). But when it's nice it's great.

I'm a bit desensitized now after moving up here from south london when i was eight. </3

oh yeah, i forgot to say welcome.

:wave:

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 04:42:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum Andrea!  :D

regards

Chris

+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

Kowalski

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 08:54:17 PM »
First post in 2009...

...I have to be the longest running lurker around here.

That's why I feel I must reintroduce myself to the club, because in the meantime I got my White fix http://club126uk.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=8463.0

Cheers

Andre

Seabee1978126

• YOU DONT LIKE US UNTIL YOU NEED US
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 01:10:53 PM »
Hey Kowalski, first welcome! There may not be many 126's on the boot,but, if you came down here to Sicily.. There everywhere!!!! I picked mine up here. The locals here think these are junk and I wasted my money. I dont think so, I love this little car!

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 08:28:10 PM »
Hello, and welcome to the Forum!! When I mentioned to friends and relations that I have a 126, they thought, why? That is, until they saw the car in the flesh. They have all converted and love the car to bits!

Kowalski

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 05:04:30 PM »
if you came down here to Sicily..
I'm there very often lately 8)
to be honest it's more 127s and Regatas where I usually stay, but it's true, the landscape there is full of Fiats from the 80s, which is refreshing for me.

The locals here think these are junk and I wasted my money. I dont think so, I love this little car!
I agree with you, a well tuned and restored 126 is plenty of fun for the money...

Kowalski

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 05:08:10 PM »
They have all converted and love the car to bits!
Who doesn't after a ride?  ;)
Thanks for the welcome,

Andre