Author Topic: new- laura- obbsessed with 126's  (Read 8650 times)

laura126

Re: new- laura- obbsessed with 126's
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2013, 06:34:02 PM »
Unfortunately I'm in Wymondham near Norwich west side of Norwich :)

It's creamy on the dipstick :(

As it runs really well I assume if the gasket is gone or the head is cracked its not done too much damage as I've caught it early,

I heard k seal is sometimes a fix!

Laura x

Hazey-n-Marc

• It's Hazey's car, she does let me fix it sometimes
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2013, 06:57:22 PM »
I would just get the gasket replaced, the cooling system on the BIS is so fragile it isn't worth messing about. I would replace the thermostat, as this can be very problematical, clean the oil filter as they are a pain to do so often get ignored, get a nice clean (clear plastic) fuel filter ( and a spare one to be carried at all times) tween tank and pump as the tanks tend to be full of crap, also check the fuel lines, if you are not sure just replace them, we had a members car catch fire recently, it is an old car thing, not a 126 thing! and check the condition of the tyres, I had two original 1988 stomils on ours when we bought it, delamination does happen!! But once all of that is done, just make sure the coolant is checked and bled regularly and it should be fine.

Used to spend a lot of time in Wymondham, got family there.

Marc

stuey

• Subscribers
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2013, 08:46:51 PM »
usually its just the head gasket gone- mine did and started pushing steam out of the exhaust- buy a new gasket set, get the head off and and get it skimmed, clean the oil filter thing, bolt it back together, change the oil and it will be fine!

Im in wymondham on fri night/sat morning so if you want me to pop over and take a look I will and Im quite willing to give a hand  if need be (although wouldnt be able to do it this weekend...)
one resprayed and another arrives- double trouble BIS style!!

Blonde126

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2013, 07:52:50 PM »
Congrats on the 126!

I was 17 when I bought mine and it was before I passed me test. Once we finished repairing it I was 18, and now I'm 19 and been driving mine for over a year now. The only issues being the odd fuse blowing, a brake light switch and now the gear lever return spring :D

I think you'll find that compared to the car/s you have been learning to drive in (assuming you used an instructor's car), you are actually driving when you drive a 126 - it's brilliant!