Author Topic: It's a Hi! from Essex...!  (Read 6409 times)

Lina

• Facebook profile
It's a Hi! from Essex...!
« on: August 08, 2011, 05:24:44 PM »
Good evening you crazy Fiat lovers... Oh, that's me too now!!  ;D

Picked up my very first 126 yesterday, hopping from foot to foot all week in excitement (and nerves!).  It's a darling and has managed to put a hook in my heart on first sight!

Just like any new relationship, we've already got some issues to sort out such as no indicators, headlights intermittently being off and on and popping out of first gear... but they're all teething troubles, I'm sure, but I'm hoping you experts here might be able to point me in the right direction when I get to work on it!  It's got hardly any rust and driving it to work today, it felt really solid and tight to drive.  Well pleased :D

So bye bye Nissan estate, with electric everything, stereo, sub woofer, cig lighter, power steering and ...storage, and hello new, interesting Fiat life!

Lovely to meet you all!

P.S. first thing on my shopping list: manual!!  If anyone has one or knows of an electronic one online, could you point me in the right place please??  Cheers!

Lina xxx
Lina - as in Lyna - as in dustbin liner, eye liner, ocean going... etc!

Lina

• Facebook profile
Re: It's a Hi! from Essex...!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »
Ooops, silly me!  In my excitement, I forgot to say what kind of 126 I seem to've aquired!

It's a 1981 aircooled 650cc with chrome bumpers... That is the full extent of my knowledge right there!  So if anyone can tell me some more about its history, that would be great :D

Lina xxx

fiatmaluch126

• My Polski babe! Fiat 126el 'Town' Maluch(catalyst)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »
Welcome  Lina,   :welcome   Glad to welcome you to the exciting world of the micro cars. regarding indicators check fuse in fuse box front left of bonnet, and lights either iffy switch like mine or check earth wire from light bulb holder to bodywork, 1st gear popping out possible link needs adjusting but not sure how to do it, other members will help there! Regards David    ;)

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »
Hi and welcome 'And another Essex 126'  :D

We really must sort out a get together as lots in the area at last.

If you make a small donation to this site you get into the members section, there are free manuals online.

Any problems just ask, this is the best Fiat 126 site in the world (for English speakers anyway).

Once again Welcome

Lina

• Facebook profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 09:16:49 PM »
Hi David, thanks for the welcome!

All the fuses seem fine, but have just read elsewhere to check the connectors under the fusebox too and any other inline fuses too, so that's tomorrow's job.  There is no flashing light on the dash either, but maybe I don't have a model that does that...?  The lights problem I suspect something loose too, but if it's an earth by a bulb, would that affect both lights?

Yes, the 1st gear problem reminds me of my old Vespas - if the gear cables were too tight or loose, things would jump out or stick... and the gear stick does seem incredibly loose and floppy - if those are technical terms!  ;)

And hi dajwid - you replied while I was replying!  Thanks also for the welcome!  Great to hear there are more of these lovely little creatures I mean cars around in Essex - not seen another in Colchester yet, where are the other Essex 126s based?  Would be superb to meet up!  Thanks for the tip about donation, I shall get onto that while I wait for my Haynes from Amazon to arrive.  I believe I'm already becoming obsessed...!  ;D

All the best,
Lina xxx

fiatmaluch126

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 09:25:57 PM »
A fellow modette?   My 1959 Series 1 Li 150 looked nice next to my 1978 Fiat 126 back in 1991. A long time ago and sadly no more!    :cry:

Lina

• Facebook profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 09:33:55 PM »
Not sure I was a modette... more scooterist with a spider-cut and DMs!  I also stuck with Vespas - too many bits tended to fall off the Lambrettas for my liking ;)
Obviously still got the Italian bug though, as the bike I'm riding now is a Ducati, sadly only on loan though...
Oh, the '90s - scooters and rallies and mayhem!

Looks like not much has changed then  ;D

Lina xxx

fiatmaluch126

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
No, just got older lol   ;)

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:20:02 AM »
Pop a few pictures up, we want to see your new baby :D

Lina

• Facebook profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 09:31:12 PM »
Evening all again!

Day three of being a newbie Fiat 126 owner, and still loving it!  Managed to 'fix' the headlights and indicator problems - it was a 'blonde' issue!!  Assumed the longer stalk was indicators, but was in fact going from high beam to side lights instead... lol!   :$  Hey ho, all a learning curve, I'm sure that will make a few of you chuckle!!  :D

Have found out how to adjust the gearlever, so will attempt to sort my jumpy first gear at the weekend, as that is a bit irritating!

Anyway, here are a few photos I took today.  There are a few bumps and dings to contend with over time, in particular, the front end has had a bit of a shunt in the past.  Otherwise, I love the looks of it, it's my baby now.

smallcox

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 09:36:33 PM »
Hi Lina,

As I said about 2 weeks ago, the 126 is growing in Essex. 8)

Welcome to the club. Oh the car looks FAB :thumbup
air cooled, gt15 garret turbo with intercooler, 14x9" wheels with 225/40/14 toyos, front arb and disc brakes

fiatmaluch126

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »
Very nice! Same colour as my first maluch back in 1991   ;D

Lina

• Facebook profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 09:52:26 PM »
Thanks guys, I absolutely love the colour (one of its biggest selling points for me, must admit!)

Can't wait for the weekend to tinker with it... is it odd that my bedtime reading is now a Fiat 126 manual??  lol!

Had a bit of a shock when looking for chrome mirrors, blimey!  They're not cheap, are they??  Does anyone know if there's another car that's compatible mirror-wise with the 126?  Any other Fiats, Minis or other classics, say?  Otherwise, I may have to go for another black passenger side one and when I get a tin of paint matched up, get colour coded mirrors instead of chrome!

One thing absolutely needs doing - the roof lining!  Not only is the material sagging, but so is the deadening stuff sagging, really messing my hair up for work! :D  That's coming out at the weekend and will replace it with some modern foam or something and some vinyl to match the interior.... oh the plans! :)

@smallcox - Essex is the place to be for 126s, I guess!  Have any meet ups been arranged in the area yet?  It would be great to meet up with people that don't just say 'why????' when I mention what car I've got lol!

Laters,
Lina xxx

fiatmaluch126

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 10:01:42 PM »
not sure if the fiat 125p mirrors fitted? 'dajwid' should know!

126blackbird

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 08:59:46 PM »
The 8balldinner on the A12 near Witham is a good place to meet up. I have been there a few times with my kit car.
 Graham