Author Topic: Hallo!  (Read 13497 times)

duckmonkey

Hallo!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 09:59:03 AM »
my mate here at work is trying to make his own bio-diesel at home - collecting used fat from chip-shops i think...  :roll:

Oh and I'm already obsessed with the 126-E idea.  My poor missus - I talk about nothing else.

paul harbinson.

Hallo!
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 10:19:32 AM »
I'm already goin down bio fuel road as in if some punter misfuels his car (petrol into diesel) I drain the tank and dispose the fuel in a green way aka my fuel tank :lol:
Dante Giacoso, pure genius!

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
Hallo!
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 10:43:12 AM »
that is a green way Paul and i feel sorry for your wife!  :lol: the money you will save will give her more spending money, (make sure you tell her that)

I bought a manual on making your own bio diesel at home, theres a misconception that it can just be chucked into the car, yes it can be if you mix it say 50/50 with diesel but thats not being green thats being tight, its alot more complex than just a quick filter, the problem is it needs to be heated a few times to make it thinner, then methanol needs to be added along with a potasium hydroxide. Takes ages. if its not done in that way you will clog up the injectors, and if thats not enough you still have to pay the government 50p tax a litre!!!!!!  :x but how do they know how much you put in?  :lol:

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
Hallo!
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 11:04:57 AM »
Looking at the news this week looks like the government is going to slam the motorists again, more congestions charges planned for the future :evil:

So electric or lpg may be the way to go I know they are exempt for London congestion charges.

paul harbinson.

Hallo!
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2006, 11:11:08 AM »
Tell me about it Chris  :lol: .Cooking oil thats the way.Now this is true I've done it,If you have an old diesel car (as in pre hdi) strain the old bits of chips out and lash that into the tank it runs ok,you will smell like a mobile chippy but it works :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Chris Lakin

Hallo!
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2006, 11:12:51 AM »
haha cool, yer it says that in this manual - you can run diesel engines on pure cooking oil if they arnt HDI jobs.

did it run ok Paul?

regards

Chris

paul harbinson.

Hallo!
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2006, 12:35:08 PM »
It ran better but I was starving when I got out with the smell :lol:

126dave

Hallo!
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2006, 03:22:26 PM »
i hope i did not come accross as too negative.......i think its a great project,my mind has already been thinking of bits you could chuck away to lighten it some.......without that crazy little engine trying its very best to escape out the back,there is loads of metal you could lose.
mods to the wheels/tyre,choose the early italian 126 (the lightest)etc tetc etc etc

i work with electric wheelchairs and have a healthy interest in any thing like this..........
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

duckmonkey

Hallo!
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2006, 03:36:06 PM »
Are the earlier ones lighter then?

126dave

Hallo!
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2006, 04:14:34 PM »
lighter?marginaly,less underseal etc and i think,slightly thinner gauge metal..........sounds trivial,but your going down the same route as i have,im looking for the last 1/2 bhp from my motor,and have spent time making the car as easy to propel as possible=more performance.

so you'll be looking for good used wheel bearings,not new,500 size wheels and tyres,running slightly higher pressure maybe,brakes(drums,discs have more running resistance) meticulously set up and maintained,steering geometry spot on(tracking etc)and loads of sound insulation..... to dump!!!.when you get your car,keep all the items you remove,then weigh them,you'll be suprised!

all small things to make the most of both our feeble power units!!!its tuning in another direction

Chris Lakin

Hallo!
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2006, 05:35:55 PM »
ive heard the italian steel was thinner, and its true, i can feel it in the bonets they bend and wobble, the polish ones dont so much.

but what ever you do dont use an early italian one!  :lol:

regards

Chris

126dave

Hallo!
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2006, 09:15:27 PM »
reply to mick,my car does not run on kroeneburg,its merlot only, otherwise it pinks like hell,i tried cote de rhone but same prob..........and i've not found anything better for engine/gearbox oil than purest virgin olive oil(with infused herb aditive).
i also can my flatulance to use in my tyres,makes them lighter (tuning secret) you know.

as for my 'golden rain'(registered) brake fluid , i'll leave you to work that out (tuning secret) :wink:

paul harbinson.

Hallo!
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2006, 07:58:49 AM »
Ha ha ha ha ha :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Chris Lakin

Hallo!
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2006, 11:04:48 AM »
you really are going green Dave  :lol:

Vin

Hallo!
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2006, 11:30:33 AM »
This does sound like a very interesting project. I remember reading about a chap who did the same to a 126 in one of my copies of 'Parliamo' (the Fiat Motor Club monthly magazine). I think he was from New Zealand and did it on a budget, but the work looked very professional. I will see if I can find the copy. Obviously, tis true that electric cars ultimately use fossil fuels etc. but at least all the pollution/fumes etc end up being centred on single points, so is certainly step in the right direction on the green front :D
1978 900T Citivan, 1986 126 FSM, 1985 Panda 45CL, 1988 Panda 1000CL, 1991 Panda 750L, 2000 Brava SX 105 JTD