Author Topic: 1990 Fiat 126 Pickup Conversion  (Read 15601 times)

mt2man

1990 Fiat 126 Pickup Conversion
« on: November 21, 2010, 05:45:57 PM »
Hey all, im new to this forum and just thought id share my project with you :)

I know there may be some haters because its not exactly standard, but at the end of my day its my car :) haha

Right i hope this makes sense, but im just going to copy and paste from a different forum, so bare with me :) haha

Hey this is my lil project/bit of fun :)

Bassically here is the cars story before I bought it!
http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?...1069&page=1

It was like a 300 mile round trip to buy it, but it done the 150 miles back no problem! :D

When I got it I decided to de bumper it and it later looked like this:

Got bored so added some evil eyes and a roof rack haha

Then I thought a colour change was in order, so started spraying it satin black

But got bored again, and decided to make it into a pickup :) as you do.

So heres a few pics of the build, its not finished yet! Only started it this morning lol
Stipped it out:

Added abit of bracing (the wood ontop is for later when the roof gets bent):

Chop chop chop:

Bend bend bend:

Its far from finished! But any tips or critisim would be appreciated, good or bad I don't care! I'm only 18 I'm just enjoying my self and having some fun haha, although it is a serious project and I will be making sure its safe!

Anyway a little more progress, bear with me, its far from finished!

Had to cut the roof, it wasnt wide enough:

Made up a mdf template which I will use to make sure the metal is the right shape and size, ill probually use a car bonnet with some curves or shapes in it to add abit of rigidity to it:

Bit of cutting, grinding, couple of tack welding to get the rear c pillar part semi sorted:

Still a longggg way off, and needs alot of pannel beating and welding and what not, but its getting there :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:12:22 PM by mt2man »

mt2man

Re: 1990 Fiat 126 Pickup Conversion
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 05:46:28 PM »
But right heres some pictures I took earlier, and the photoshop I done.

I bassically put motorbike indicators on the front, some mini arches and blanked where the orignal hole was with a cut up icecream container :). Oh and added some blue LED side light bulbs because my dad ordered to many by accident so had some left for me! :D haha

Anyway pictures speak a thousand words, soo:

Ignore the pen marks, I was lining them up, it will be painted later anyway :)

And this is the photoshop I done, before and after:

mt2man

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 05:47:09 PM »
Fitted my wheel arches properly:

And was playing around with some 10" mini wheels I had hanging around:

Apart from the rediculous ride height and positive camber, I quite like them haha, but I will be going for wheels with more of a dish :)

mt2man

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 05:47:32 PM »
Another update, got the rear of the cab sorted :) well almost, picturessss:

My bike and the 99p bonnet :)

Masking off outline from template

It was an absoloute pig to cut, its pretty substantual and built up from mulitiple layers

In place

A couple of welds, its already solid! Alot of work to do yet, but its getting there :)

mt2man

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 05:47:59 PM »
Welded the rear of the cab up properly, it is actually better than the pictures let on:

View from inside:

General look:

Ground back the welds and gave it a quick spray to stop it rusting untill its finishedd:

mt2man

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 05:48:41 PM »
Rightt im not sure if these pics will work, im trying it from facebook because i cba to upload them to photobucket atm haha so let me know....

Smoothed it abit and added some colour to get an idea on finish:

Still a longgg way to go, but its getting there :) ive had another idea, which is why i was trying the roof rack :P so all will be revealed later!

mt2man

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 05:49:32 PM »
Oh ANDDD, here is something completely different, which will be towed by this little beauty and behind my mini estate :)

And just to get an idea of how small it is there is this picture, im aware it hasnt got any wheels yet, but its another one of my projects haha

mt2man

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 05:50:06 PM »
Thankyou :D it will be lilac when its completely finished :) but when its the general shape it will just have a quick spray of pink untill it gets abit warmer so i can give it a semi reasonable paint job next year.

And build one! They are such a laugh, and no 2 are really the same so its all about personalising them really :) you could paint one to match your camper or something?! Would look cool.

Anywayy got a little more, still need to finish the rear but run out of light :( so hopefully more will be done tommorow.

De-seamed the rear
Before:

After (other side but its the same:

Added another 2x2" box section for more ridgitiy and to finish the rear off:

Shaped it:

Capped the end:

Gave it a quick spray so it doesnt rust to much over night untill it will hopefully be finished off:

And the good thing about working outside in this temperature, is my Yazoo didnt get warm :) you cant have warm milkshake!

mt2man

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 05:50:31 PM »
Cheers dude! :D

Got a lil more done:

Made up some new seat mounts so i can use mini seats and subframes so i have more variet of what seats i can put in it :) (has modified corsa seats on mini bucket seat subframes atm)

And got some more done on the tailgate end:

Fibreglass filler before sanding

Done abit of sanding and gave it a quick spray over to do untill i finish it properly

Please not this isnt the final paint job, i will be sanding it back and doing some fine fillering to smooth it all out nicely and it will have a decent paint job when i can get it in the garage or it gets abit warmer :)

Opinionsss?

markymarc

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 06:11:05 PM »
I like it budy, I love to be different so you go for it dude.  I saw a black pick-up on e-bay a while ago i was tempted by but it was a poo job!!

Dare to be different and B******s to anyone else (unlees its the wife)  hehe

marc

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 06:33:06 PM »
Pity no tailgate or one could put a motorcycle on the back
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

mt2man

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 10:10:51 PM »
Cheers for the words of encouragement :) it has got a little bit of hate on another forum, and i was expecting to get shot down on here because im radically altering a car you all love haha. But im loving it more and more by how personal it is becoming!

And a motorbike wouldnt have fitted in the back anyway, unless maybe a minimoto or a pit bike, but even so it would have been tight, its a pretty pointless pickup to be honest haha

But i had to do it the way i have because of the whole IVA'ing it will require, theres no test for a pickup this small so really it will never be road legal, so ive had to weld the rear up and will be adding a 'boot' to it for legal reasons so really its going to be a 2 seater coupe like a mr2, but tbh i will probually remove the boot lid once its all legal and just put it back on for MOT times :P.

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 10:14:08 PM »
Have to confess to not being a fan of the colour though :oops:

Where in Portsmouth are you?
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

mt2man

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 11:04:50 PM »
It may not be to everyones taste :P but it definatly gets noticed! haha, its going to be satin lilac when im finished :) with black wheel arches and pickup bed.

And im actually in Portchester, near Fareham, but i thought id make it abit more general because not many people know Portchester haha. I see your quite local :)

bis13

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 11:16:14 PM »
i just hope you have a friendly mot man as that cutting bits off means a biva test if you are unlucky.