Author Topic: An apology  (Read 7991 times)

fiatfsm

An apology
« on: December 19, 2005, 05:37:45 PM »
I am sorry for my little outburst re 126s being broken to repair 500s. Its a subject close to my heart and always gets me going, you see I have been involved with them for a while and many a time have seen really nice cars end up being broken for spares, and sometimes have found 126s for people that have then turned out to be 500 owners looking for an engine etc, which is disgraceful! Those who know me will realise I am at heart a fair and basically nice bloke so to those who have been offended and upset I apologise... Im only here to help fellow 126 owners after all.
1987 Fiat 126 FSM, alloys, clear lights, Polish tat accessories... love it!

126dave

An apology
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 06:10:56 PM »
fair play to you for that mate,but as long as 126's are so cheap and plentifull (in the uk at least),you are going to be getting your heart broken on a regular basis,one thing i don't get though,if 500's are now real classics,why put the wrong engine /hubs etc??? :???:  should'nt the original parts be re built???i would'nt want to buy a 500 at the money they are now making without the numbers matching!(different if its a abarth/giannini replica with a 126 650 in it).
still,it wont be long before there are no 'original' 500's around!!! :roll: .

might be an idea to stock pile some 500 running gear for when they REALLY become collectable................................... :wink:

Please dont take this post the wrong way anyone.................
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

gregs656

An apology
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 06:17:24 PM »
fair play if u ask me, if it annoys you it annoys you. you have as much right to say you disagree ith something as you have to say you agree with it.
The Hunt Continues. . .

paul harbinson.

An apology
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 08:13:08 AM »
Boys' at the end of the day it's not worth getting upset about,life's too short.You could pop your clogs tomorrow,is it really worth getting wound up about :D
Dante Giacoso, pure genius!

dajwid

• Subscribers
An apology
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 06:35:38 AM »
When I win lotto I will buy a nice little 500, then break it outside the owners house, tell him I only needed spares for my 126 :lol:
Then we will all feel better.

paul harbinson.

An apology
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 07:34:53 AM »
Blimy that's a bit rash.When it's all broken up can I have all the bit's and I'll put it back together :D

dajwid

• Subscribers
An apology
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 12:34:10 PM »
No! I will crush is just for the hell of it. :) Along with a GT40, Cobra and VW Samba bus.

Coz I will be rich and I can.

Then have a gold plated 126 made.

Christ I should be in a mental home!

richard

please crush here
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 01:04:19 PM »
can you crush the 500 outside of my house please

and remember  " what goes around, comes around "

we should embrace all cars .. as car drivers we pay taxes left right and centre for the right to own a little bit of road no matter where we are in the uk

Bruce

An apology
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 01:12:04 PM »
things will change, people used to butcher Corsairs to get the V4 for their RO80s, and P5Bs to get engines for their Stags, now the doner cars are probably worth more than their recipiants when fitted with the wrong engines, i mean the RO80 was its engine and with a ford V4 it is no better than an ancient Audi with a transit engine. as for the Rover V8, it may be a very nice engine that in another form even managed to win the F1 drivers and manufactures champianships 2 years running before the all conquering DFV took over, but for some reason the other members of the BL group went to great lengths to keep it out of there cars; Triumph (with the stag) joined together 2 Dolomite engines to make a V8 rather than use the ex-Buic version, and the Jaguars designers when making a replacement for the original XJ6/12 did not maker the engine bay wide enough to take their V12 (so the old XJ12 carried on alongside the new XJ6) because they feared the Rover V8 would be put in there. For the british designers the thought of a V8 in a jag was abhorrent, but then Jaguar was sold to Ford and it got a V8 and horror of horrors i think they might even have put a V6 in them.

Maybe FIAT should never have made the aircooled 126 but instead made a better job of the Bis.

paul harbinson.

An apology
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 02:23:10 PM »
Trust me the v12 was better in the series 3 than the xj 40.......oh boy!

fiatfsm

An apology
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 04:17:23 PM »
The Triumph V8 sounds gorgeous too, whereas the Rover V8 is somewhat less tuneful. Thing was even though Leyland owned all those brands they still wanted to retain their individuality. Austin wanted the V8 Rover lump to make a luxury Wolseley version of the Austin 3 Litre, they made a prototype but Rover then mysteriously said they didnt have the production capacity to make engines for Austin! Basically that would have been a better car than the P5B Rover, politics! Anyway, who dug this old thread up?! :oops:
If I one the lottery then my 126 would be better than new and I wouldnt spend one penny on an inferior 500 :D  :cool:
1987 Fiat 126 FSM, alloys, clear lights, Polish tat accessories... love it!

paul harbinson.

An apology
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 08:28:32 AM »
Come on I love my baby FIAT to bit's but I'd also love a 500.Lot's of childhood memorie's.I know 126's were butchered to keep 500's going but i'm sure the donor car's (well the vast majority) were rot boxe's eh.Another way to look at it is this there are a lot fewer 126's on the road now compared to 500's and the 126 is so gaining in popularity.I know there are a "few" people out there who own 500's that turn their nose's up at the 126 and say it's not the same just tell them get a life.However the vast majority of owner's are like us who have a bit of criac.