Author Topic: Fuel pump and ethanol question  (Read 1213 times)

Macmonkey

Fuel pump and ethanol question
« on: June 30, 2021, 07:47:24 PM »
Hello. Had to replace a failing fuel pump on my car today which will be the second pump I’ve had to replace in 18 months. I’m starting to wonder if the replacement pumps you get these days aren’t much good, or is it the ethanol in fuel degrading the pumps membranes? Mine is an air cooled car and I am thinking of just using super unleaded from now on what with the ethanol percentage increasing shortly. Does anyone else run on super and are there any issues I should be aware of?

On a side note I also replaced the plastic inline fuel filter with a glass and metal one, it was only £7.50 which is only a bit more than a plastic one and far less likely to melt!

Njkip

• Subscribers
Re: Fuel pump and ethanol question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 09:37:38 AM »
I've just been reading up on the ethanol issues, the E10 comes in in September this year, but says the E5 is still going to be about for another five years. Looking on the federation historic car club they list a number of things that can be damaged by the ethanol....from rubber seals, pipes, tanks, solder on metal floats ....it's a bit grim...they also say the higher ethanol petrol is not as good and can effect performance. ...it's sounds a bit grim to me....one thing they did say was about the additives that was used to replace the leaded fuel...does anyone use that with the E5 fuel ? Just wondered if it was worth adding some ....

Macmonkey

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 10:54:25 AM »
Well my new pump failed too! Took it apart to see the filter like this. It appears that the ethanol destroyed it within 24 hours. Luckily I had a spare filter from a dead pump and the car is running again. I had just under half a tank of fuel so have topped up with super and put some Millers VSPe in as well to help with the ethanol.

Njkip

• Subscribers
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 12:06:26 PM »
Bl**dy hell thats atrocious is that it's certainly made a mess of that....I hope it doesn't cause problems elsewhere....well I think I'll do the same as you, I mean I don't get to drive mine as much as I like so hope because it's stood a bit I hope things don't start stopping to bits on mine....well Macmonkey best of luck with it thanks for sharing to it's highlighted what could be a problem for us all....will you post on how you get on with things .....if things get sorted....all the best 👍

andyzeetec

• Subscribers
  • 126 BIS
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 04:18:10 PM »
I use this, £11.50 July last year, blimmey its shot up since!

Lucas Oil 10576 Safe Guard Ethanol Fuel Treatment, 473 ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004FW77F0/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_glt_i_TKPJEPNVKH73E7FVCSYG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 05:25:54 PM by andyzeetec »

Njkip

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 08:19:24 PM »
Tell me about everything is going up....it's ridiculous.....🙄🙄 I think I'll invest in some tho...👍

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 11:38:19 PM »
If you have the time..
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9mLbuUSt-0[/youtube]

Njkip

• Subscribers
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 11:06:48 AM »
I watched that video the other day....very interesting....

andyzeetec

• Subscribers
  • 126 BIS
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 11:28:29 AM »
If you have the time..
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9mLbuUSt-0[/youtube]

That's a good find, I bet he's retired