Author Topic: Trouble starting hot  (Read 918 times)

gt alex

Trouble starting hot
« on: July 07, 2022, 09:08:54 AM »
If I stop for fuel, go in to the service station and pay, It won't start it cranks over well but nothing.
If I give it a push start in second after trying to start with the starter splutters and starts every time.
I am running a 123 ignition, new coil no ballast resistor, a new carburetor with an electric fuel pump.
None of these things have helped.
All I can think now is wire a relay from the starter solenoid starter wire to provide full battery volts to the solenoid and the ignition coil while cranking.
So what if this fails? A new starter motor?

Minijohn

• Subscribers
Re: Trouble starting hot
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 02:05:28 PM »
If it cranks over well, then a new starter motor isn't needed (maybe get your battery tested under load)

If it otherwise runs fine, then you have either a fuel or spark problem.
My money would be on the electrics.

To check for a spark, pull a spark plug lead and connect a spare spark plug into the end and lay that on top of the engine.
Then with someone else turning the key, you should see a spark at the end of the plug.

You mention full battery voltage to the coil - do you not have full battery voltage there now - have you checked?

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 11:08:05 PM »
have you tried reseting the timing?
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

gt alex

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 12:43:02 PM »
After rebuilding the starter and fitting 1mm washers (1 side ground to clear) under the contacts the starter in operating 100%.
I am using the 123 ignition set to standard with no ballast on the coil, but using a relay switching full battery voltage taken from the battery cable on the starter controlled by the solenoid switch wire ensuring best voltage while cranking by passing the car ignition circuit.

Starting has been perfect, but the other day again 40degC day after stopping a short while at the servo it wouldn't start. cracked well but I could smell fuel like it was flooding. Waited another 10mins and a away we went.

So now I think its heat soaking into the fuel system peculating the fuel into the engine flooding it.

So to reduce the temperature I am going to drive with the engine lid slightly open.

I am driving 400km in the next 2 days in the heat and I will report back.

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 04:15:52 PM »
Maybe worth checking the valve clearances if the problem is heat related.

Minijohn

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 06:00:28 PM »
With 40deg air temperature and a hot engine, I'd agree - vaporisation of the fuel in the carburettor.
Try cranking the engine with the accelerator pedal on the floor (allows maximum air in to clear the petrol)
Good luck

gt alex

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 11:52:18 AM »
I was wondering if fuel is boiling into the engine via the fuel bowl breather maybe as a experiment I could use a overflow tube like a motorcycle. no smoking allowed :D