Author Topic: Flags  (Read 5626 times)

PaulB

Flags
« on: April 10, 2005, 08:49:01 AM »
I don't want to get into some daft debate about god queen and country, but why do car clubs insist on using Union Flags all the time? Both the 500 and 126 club have a big one plastered on their car stickers.

A lot of people might not want this flag on their car. Love it or loath it, it carries many meanings. For example, for many people in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Cornwall (and for those areas where the BNP are quite active) it means something very different than for people living in the Home Counties.

Thanks

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
Flags
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 12:23:09 PM »
I think the main reason for using the union jack is that it's easily recognized. The same cannot be said about the other flags you have mentioned because they are more local and not known worldwide.

slater

• http://www.retro-rides.com
Flags
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 04:44:01 PM »
Its the uk fiat 126 club so they have got a uk flag on the logo!

No ones forcing you to put it on your car.

PaulB

Flags
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 07:55:21 PM »
That's all true, and for many people, its a mighty fine flag. I also understand that it is a UK-wide club etc, and that no one is forcing anyone else to do anything. I also appreciate that a whole load of stickers have probably just been printed... I was just thinking that whist I'm sure many 126 owners might want to promote and show their support for the club with a sticker on their car, some might be put off by the Union Flag as, like I said, for some its a bit loaded with connotations or just isn't something they'd be having on their car for the reasons I gave earlier, among others. For a lot of people, its not about being anti-English/British etc, its just to do with local aspirations and the historical connotations of the flag (the "Celtic fringe" (Wales, Scotland, N.Ireland and Cornwall) being a good example). Does it need a flag at all?  

Just a thought...

I really, REALLY don't want to fire up some crazy nationalist/royalist/republican debate! just thinking about practicalities! :)

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
Club Logo
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 08:40:58 PM »
Hi Paul thank you for your contribution, I designed that logo, in Photoshop. I'm proud to be British hence the (Union Flag) when I designed that logo, I can tell you now I had no intentions of inciting racism or any kind of prejudice. If your an 'ethnic Minority' I hope you understand how some of us like to conserve our historical origins rather than to quash them like the rest of this country, I do get quite disturbed by what is said, by people like yourself.  We are British and our flag is a union jack, therefore I will use it to depict out nationality, like if we where a Welsh club I would use a welsh flag, and so forth. The only connotations assigned to the flag are your own; I will stand firm against political correctness to do away with our flag.

I hope you will join the club and thank you for raising the issue in the discussion. Ps. you get a free quality embroidered t-shirt when you join, which does not include that logo.

Kindest regards

Chris Lakin
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

PaulB

Flags
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 11:05:50 PM »
Hi Chris, sorry you are disturbed by what I said. I wasn't thinking of racism, prejudice, etc.  Fact is, not everyone wants a Union Flag on their car. That's all. I am not expressing any form of political correctness, just reality as I have experienced it, especially outside England, where "historical origins" are far from quashed.

let's leave it at that.

cheers

Chris Lakin

Flags
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 11:21:38 PM »
ok mate, there was never any tension in what i was saying, it is hard to review the logo now like you said i have purchased the stickers. So what fiat do you have? BIS aircooled? Any modifications, i also own a fiat 500F which i am restoring!

Regards

Chris

PaulB

Flags
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 11:56:49 PM »
Hi Chris, its also hard to get across what i was trying to say without sounding too earnest or pc about it.

I have an '82 aircooled 126 which is in need of some tlc body-wise (surprise!) and a '69 500F in need of some tlc engine-wise, but body beautiful. Its just finding the time and warm weather to deal with them...

Either one is driven daily for work, etc. though clutch on 500 is keeping it standing until I get a sunny afternoon. 500 soon to receive panda 30 treatment and some great discs, but aim to keep all else as Fiat intended.

Chris Lakin

Flags
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 01:48:47 AM »
Hi Paul, no dont worry about what you said, i know exactly what you meant, we have to be careful about things. so i take your point seriously. A 69F!! like i said mine is a 72f i think that was the last year for F's then was just F's and R's. I'm in my first year at university so find it hard to find time to restore my 500 but she is all striped down now ready for weldiong and respray. , the engine has done 44000miles, the panda head sounds good, thinking of a dellorto carb? to accompany panda head? and better manifold? interested pleased elaborate if you wish.

http://www.fiat500sport.com/def.asp?l=ITA&sku=19C604D4A5

Regards, Chris

PaulB

Flags
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 07:53:11 PM »
Sticking with the panda weber 30 DGF carb and manifold for now. You just run out of revs on these cars without a 5th (expensive) gear, so I think that might do me.

I've got a pile of stuff like reverse eye spring, alquati exhaust , etc, but don't know if I'll use them as the 500 ride is so good and sports exhausts are a lot of noise for very little extra bhp. may shove them all on the 126 for a laugh.... once I have dealt with all the rust.

Should be joining club end of month when less hard up. You'll need to sort out a proper bank account and constitution at some point to avoid problems.

Chris Lakin

Flags
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 10:34:33 PM »
Sounds like good stuff i assume you 126 is an aircooled, hence thinking about putting 500 exhaust on 126?

Yes i will have to sort account out one day, not in a rush though. but looks more professional.

Will be good to have you as a member!

Chris