Author Topic: Polish 126elx minor resto  (Read 10893 times)

nathanfiddes

Re: Polish 126elx minor resto
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 11:29:53 AM »
Started to tackle the other side yesterday, the floor needs a few repairs and cutting out/tidying of the terrible Polish repairs.

The welding list is getting smaller now so hopefully I will get it tested soon! Anyone give me advice on the brakes? How should 126 brakes feel?

I've also got an insurance quote and it was £225 on the chassis number which I thought was fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1973/126

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 04:20:17 PM »
 Where have you greased the shoes up?
 Also have you tried the - put it in reverse and slam the brakes trick yet? This will set up the brake adjusters.
 The standard brakes are not great, but if in good condition they are adequate :)
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

nathanfiddes

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 05:34:45 PM »
Yeah I have put some grease on them, I forgot about the reverse trick. I'll do that then, they are ok and stop the car so hopefully they will pass an MOT.

Thanks for the reply.

nathanfiddes

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2015, 08:45:34 PM »
Hi,

I'm slowly getting to the MOT day now but have more mechanical things to do.

I have play in the steering so im guessing it's the 'box, how much adjustment is there for these?

Also I have a wobble from one wheel bearing and a kingpin, I'm going to try and put grease in the kingpin and see if that helps tomorrow, any tips?

nathanfiddes

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 07:03:08 PM »
Hi

I spent today fitting new shoes to all the drums and now the brakes are much improved.

Has anyone changed front wheel bearings? Does the hub pull off the stub axle to reveal bearings? Both mine are shot and the haynes manual is a bit vague.

Thanks

nathanfiddes

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 08:30:02 PM »
We are hopefully finishing the welding tomorrow, a couple of plates to put in then it's painting time!

Time is really running out for my now with only a couple of weeks left until I leave this job. I will probably put it in for a MOT over the next few days but I think the front bearings and maybe the steering box could be an issue.

Also I my 12" tyres are rubbish but I have some 13" steels with 135 12's on so I'm hoping they will fit in the arches to allow me to drive her to the test station!

nathanfiddes

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »
Lots of work done today but still a small amount of welding to do. The underneath is near complete apart from one more small plate.

I have managed to grease up the kingpin that had play in it and that's great now.

All that's needed is a new tie rod on the passenger side, a bearing on that side too.

It also needs a set of tyres and the fog lamp rewired to the other side.

And lots of underseal!

I'm cutting it fine as I'm losing my storage in a couple of weeks!

nathanfiddes

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2015, 09:02:27 PM »
MOT day tomorrow! Wish me luck!

nathanfiddes

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2015, 07:35:07 PM »
Failed. More welding to rear chassis, they are also saying I need a CAT? Is this correct?

The car is up for sale now anyway and has to go. Such a shame but I have no more time to complete the work.

Clancy_Ryan

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2015, 09:56:44 PM »
Sorry to hear  :(
And unfortunately yes, thats the one which had a CAT.

nathanfiddes

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2015, 06:52:32 PM »
Well she is on eBay. I'm gutted to have to sell her as I know I could get her road legal in a few months but I don't have that. I have put so many hours into this little car.

I doubt she will make what I feel she is worth but I've learnt so much by owning her.

Maluchman

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2015, 07:41:06 PM »
I took her out for a spin today (on private land!). The gears were like stirring soup by now with some adjustment are all there. The brakes are alright but not great, what are the 126 brakes normally like? Would they lock under hard braking? Also my handbrake is poor. I have renewed all slave cylinders and cleaned/greased shoes etc.

It's a Maluch!!!  (Fiat 126)  The brakes are not meant to be brilliant! They are based on the 1972 original braking system. You have done a good job by the way! I am Welsh and love in Poland and i am buying a 126 1998 soon it will be my 4th 126. I am expecting the same problems as you have encountered. Parts are very cheap to buy over here though!