Author Topic: Ground up rebuild on a Aus delivered aircooled FSM Niki  (Read 17695 times)

KAL SPL

Ground up rebuild on a Aus delivered aircooled FSM Niki
« on: June 15, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »
Found this car in someones back yard about 2001 , it was down the side of his shed , basically
complete but not running , I swapped it for a 4 channel car amplifier.
We towed it home and began to strip down the carby and flush the tank out , put some new plugs
and fuel in , had no keys for it so I hard wired the ignition to a switch and fitted a push button start.
Eventually we got it running and drove round for a bit on back roads getting it to run properly.

A week or so later I was at the pits getting it inspected for rego. Its primary purpose was to build a
serious SPL car as thats what I was into at the time , I drove it round for a couple of months enjoying
life , I got a call from a mate saying a guy had 2 of them locally and wanted to sell the 1 that was
basically  a parts car for $100 , this was more suited for an SPL car because we were going to
extensively destroy it anyway.

This was about as far as we got with that 1 , it ended up at the tip because I lost interest and the
scene was dying , plus I discovered burnouts

We trial fitted some 18s but yeah dont think they will ever fit

I drove the regoed car around for a few years keeping it running with constant problems as they
do with these , eventually it got the point where the engine needed new rings , the gearbox had lost
3rd and 4th , there was minimal rust that I wanted to treat before it got worse , it came off the road
and was stripped of everything and mate did the rust repairs for me.

Then it got a good wash and out to dry

At the time I was making a decision what colour to paint it the first HSV GTO images of the era were being
released and I liked this colour , quick trip to Holden I had the paint code and thats where it got a little
crazy , the panel shop I took it to decided it in there best interest to make it flawless given how neat and
tidy the body was , some 12 months later (I was in no hurry ) out rolled a blue Niki , inside and out , every
part was covered in blue !

I had the colour on my car before it was even released in this town , turned some heads that for sure !

Given it was a HSV colour I thought it only fitting to add my own personal touch for a badge/sticker

While the painting was going on I got new rings fitted to the engine , fixed the gearbox and gave it all a dulux overhaul !

Made up some quick custom door trims for it just so I had music for awhile until I decided what to fit properly to it.
Given the car had no key I had fitted a remote alarm to it to get over the pits , while I was doing the doors I
installed central locking.

Once everything was back together and on the road I drove round for while to iron out any bugs.

I used to have constant issues with timing and ignition problems , a local auto sparky fitted an electronic
ignition module for me and a Commdore coil pack , the spark now is insane , hasnt missed a beat since !

On the hunt for some wheels I found these over east and photo shopped them on but alas never got to purchase
them so if anyones come across a set Im keen !

Nothing really changed for a few years , it was a daily driver around town and has racked up about 20,000km in the last 5 years.

I got a little bit excited 1 day and must have over revved it , it didnt run quite right afer that , figuring I broke something internally
as there was fuel coming back out the carby while it was running I dropped the motor out of the green car and fitted
that ( took about an hour) , thats been in there for couple of years now but just recenetly its starting losing oil pressure , the
light comes on at idle so I suspect my lack of maintenance may have resulted in shagged bearings.

I had already stripped the original motor down only to find it was a rocker jumped off the push rod so not a major , the tappets
had never really been adjusted correctly so not really surprising.
I rebearinged the original motor and fitted new gaskets to everything in an attempt to stop it leaving oil in everyones driveway ...
The head has been cleaned and machined.

Have been doing a bit painting myself lately and basically teaching myself so figured I have a go at it with the engine covers.

This is how the enigne currently sits , Im waiting for big end bearings and gearbox gaskets to turn up from UK before I can
complete it and swap it over.
It has brand new carby , rocker cover , points , rebuilt alternator and pretty much every new small part I have come across.
Before I swap the engne over Im going to rewire the bay to try and hide whats left in there , it needs a respray because I relocated
the ignition module now so theres bare metal.

1 of the biggest faults I have always had is the elctrical system , the head lights are dull , the wipers dont work if head lights are
on , if the head lights are on while indicating and the brake pedal is pressed the indicators stop , the ingtion system pulses the
interior light and theres a constant surge while accelerating.
I always thought this was due to alt issues not charging properly but as it runs out it was just a poorly executed wiring system , the
ignition circut runs off 1 wire that loops around to everything , Im not sure where the weak link is but I wired constant 12V into it
using a relay and now evrything works perfectly !

Since I have a spare harness i have sat down for a few night disecting it and rewiring it to be more suitable , also incorporating
the alarm , stereo and CDL into it. Im in the process of building a complete dash out of MDF with new gauges if I can get new
gauges to work somehow.
The original fuse block used ceramic fuses so they will be going , the existing harness had no relays in it which kind of gives you
an idea of why it struggles to run anything elctronic.
I have purchased 12 LED pilot lights to replace all the warning lights so the instrument cluster will be gone completely and hopefully
incorporate a new digital speedo.

Under construction still.

While surfing UK Ebay I stumbled across this little gem had to have :)

Thanks to a local business I now have new blue seat belts that actually retract !
Ufortunately it now makes the red seats look somewhat hideous and expecting once the new carpets in going to be worse so seats
will be next on the agenda !

I finally stopped the back window leaking so the back shelf I made years ago will be finished off and trimmed in suade also , just
another thing on the list.

The interior as it stands but rest assured it wont look like this for long :)

So the old bearings seem to be pretty much over used , crank was fine
and Im guessing by the ammount of brass in my sump of current motor
the ones in that are going to be even worse !
Check out the size of these big end bearings :)

This was another car I picked up locally , no rego , no engine , stipped it for parts.

Some forum members may recognise this car from Motorvation , its now also gone to FIAT heaven !

Aus's cleanest Niki !

KAL SPL

Re: Ground up rebuild on a Aus delivered aircooled FSM Niki
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 04:14:22 PM »
Gee tough crowd , some feedback would have been nice :(
Aus's cleanest Niki !

Dr.126

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 07:19:54 PM »
Good work mate. 8)
Thumbs up from Norway! :D

AlleyNiki

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 07:23:02 PM »
Haha! Love it the way you had the car propped up with a milk crate!

I'm interested in how you shoved in a different coil. I may need a new coil for my wife's Niki, and as I don't wanna wait on a part can I get something from Australia that will do the job? Like from an old Holden or Datsun? It's the older, single coil system with rotor arm.

I love going to the wreckers.

Nice work mate. :)

GTMaster

• Na most a tuti- tuti- tuti
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:01:42 PM »
"Given it was a HSV colour I thought it only fitting to add my own personal touch for a badge/sticker"
Or you can call it NSV from now on: Niki Special Vehicles  ;D
Professional job done with the painting on the bodywork and engine block, can only envy it (mine unfortunately didn't turn out too well :() Very tidy :thumbup
With all the milk crates you have in stock someone has "no milk today"  ;D
"One more drink, Lacikám?"

All about car restoration can be found in the song
"Got my mind set on you" by George Harrison...

fiatmaluch126

• My Polski babe! Fiat 126el 'Town' Maluch(catalyst)
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 10:44:47 PM »
Nice job Kal! what paint did you use for engine covers? Just wondering if its special heat paint.  8)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 11:19:24 PM »
Upon my word  :o I thought that was an empty Swan crate  :$

Nice Motor though  :D :D

KAL SPL

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 01:26:39 AM »
I'm interested in how you shoved in a different coil. I may need a new coil for my wife's Niki, and as I don't wanna wait on a part can I get something from Australia that will do the job? Like from an old Holden or Datsun? It's the older, single coil system with rotor arm.

Its a V6 Commodore coil pack.
Ford ignition module that uses the original points for its timing signal.
Very simple concept and works flawlessly , starts first time very time !
Aus's cleanest Niki !

KAL SPL

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 01:35:58 AM »
Nice job Kal! what paint did you use for engine covers? Just wondering if its special heat paint.  8)
Its just normal 2 pac , unsure if it will actually last and not melt or turn yuck but time will tell.

The car was painted proffessionally but all the engine and covers I have done myself.
Aus's cleanest Niki !

fiatmaluch126

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 08:12:41 AM »
Thanks Kal, let us know if it flakes as previous owner of my car sprayed covers red and all flaked off now!   :(

KAL SPL

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 01:33:11 PM »
For what its worth , the first engine pics above in black & silver were done with high temp engine enamel after the shrouds were sand blasted and after a few years in there they were still perfect so Im not expecting 2 pac to lift at all.
Aus's cleanest Niki !

fiatmaluch126

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 09:46:09 PM »
Thanks again Kal,  :thumbup  I'll check out some engine enamel.  8)

KAL SPL

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 03:56:39 AM »
Been busy doing my wiring harness where I can and waiting for the rest of my bits to turn up from OS.
The new exhaust is fitted and engine wired up almost ready for swap over , I havnt painted the gearbox yet because I want to make sure its all sealed before I get carried away with it.

The current gearbox has dropped a bearing and wont hold 3rd so I will prob fix that 1 with new gaskets and paint that to swap it later on.

The new harness has taken some time to construct , incorporated the alarm into it and a new fuse block , have removed some old wiring circuts and added in some of my own , still a biut to do on it but for the most part its done and working.

Only way to learn is try these things yourself :)

Also have made up a rough template for how the center console will sit and switches/lights locations.
I really need my Calais back to drive so I can take this off the road for a week or 2 to strip it and swap everything over but atm its my only means of transport !

Still need a few small bits for the motor but its almost there :)
Aus's cleanest Niki !

fiatmaluch126

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 06:01:51 AM »
Looks very nice Kal!  8)  love the blue on the cowls and tidy console!   ;D   

KAL SPL

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 09:05:51 AM »
So finally decided to swap the engine/box over before my 3rdless box or oil presureless engine decided to let go ...

Having rewired the egine I thought there might be teething problems , the coil pack must not have liked me as that died in the process of trying to get the timing right.
Also had a major oil leak from the rocker cover as it seems the new gasket I fitted may have been incorrect , luckily the new gasket kit for the old engine was here and I stole 1 from that.

Oil leak fixed we went for a decent drive , seems the diff has a clunking in 1st gear but will be ok until I get the other box fixed up. Glad to report that there is so far no oil leaks from box or enigne and thus far my oil light hasnt come back on !

Please ignore the messy wiring Im going to tackle that now the motor is running , to be continued ...

Aus's cleanest Niki !