Author Topic: 1990 BIS (non-)rolling restoration  (Read 4354 times)

midvillesb

• Subscriber VIP+
1990 BIS (non-)rolling restoration
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:18:53 PM »
I won this BIS sight unseen off eBay last month - stupid gamble but on the whole I think it was worth the £510.01 I paid for it, complete with a new MOT...

The previous owner bought it in 2002 and had spent £1,000s at Proietti on routine maintenance and a full body restoration and respray a few years back. However, it's done 46k miles and has been off the road (but dry-stored) for nearly two years.  It's rock solid (except for a bit of rust in the usual place at the bottom corner of the front wings) and the paintwork is pretty good but in serious need of a mechanical overhaul and the interior is unbelievably grotty in comparison to the outside.  It got me home from the other side of London without any overheating issues but the brakes are shot (God only knows how it got through the MOT), the throttle is sticking and it generally feels a bit neglected.

I was just going to do a light rolling resto, starting with a full service, coolant and brake fluid change and new shoes/drums but one of the rear cylinders is seized and while waiting for some new parts I may have got a bit carried away with tidying up the interior...

midvillesb

• Subscriber VIP+
Re: 1990 BIS (non-)rolling restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:39:43 PM »
Doesn't look like it from the photos but the floor itself is completely rust free - the rusty looking marks are from the accelerator pedal assembly (v rusty and partially seized so no wonder it was sticking, I'll try drilling a few holes in the outer tube and getting some WD40 in there) and the mounting flanges of the cover for the central tunnel which have almost rusted through. 

The carpets and rear seats have come up OK with a thorough clean indoors.  The front seats have been recovered and are fine except that they don't match the original BIS cloth and both door cards have been replaced with badly fitting vinyl covered cards - anyone got any original BIS door card and front seats going spare?

When I drained off the coolant, it was very brown and mucky and I suspect had no antifreeze in it at all - there was also an interesting aroma from the heating system so I stripped that down expecting to find a leaking heater matrix.  In fact, the matrix is perfect and now nicely flushed through but the housing was completely full of what can only be described as compost from years of crap getting sucked in there - getting rid of that will hopefully sort the smell.

Anyway, that's enough poncing around with the interior for the moment - some proper mechanical bits next weekend I hope! 

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:26:21 AM »
Looks like a good find. It looks like the car is in relatively good nick. The floorpans look solid. What about the engine? It is great to know there is a 126 in London. You are not too far from me. I live in Highgate, North London. Good luck on your restoration.

midvillesb

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 11:26:30 PM »
Cheers Amateb8 - maybe pass you on the North Circular sometime! I haven't seen another 126 around here for years.

The engine seems pretty sweet despite the miles and certainly wasn't phased by several jams on the way home. Once I've rebuilt the brakes and got it going again, I'll get the rear panel off and do the centrifugal filter and tappets.

The plan is to make the BIS my daily driver so longevity rather than perfection is the aim - once the finances are improved, I'm still after an really good early air-cooled for the weekends!

midvillesb

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:08:14 PM »
Actually, got back on the road about three weeks ago but this is the first chance I've had to download some photos.

The brakes are now completely sorted - new drums and shoes all round, new rear cylinders and a brake fluid change, so it actually stops!  Cooling system fully flushed, with the cabin heating stripped and re-built, and all working nicely - even in London rush-hour standing traffic, the temp gauge doesn't move above half way with the fan kicking in as it should.  I still need to clean out the oil filter (doh, should have done that BEFORE I put in £20 quids worth of Duckhams 20W50) and do the valve clearances but otherwise all the oily bits are done.

It also looks a bit prettier than it did before - interior completely stripped out and cleaned up, non-original front seats and door cards changed over for genuine BIS items.  The door cards came with a rather manky parcel shelf which had been cut for speakers, so I sprayed that up with grey vinyl paint and it came out pretty well, so now fitted with Blaupunkt speakers and a new old stock period Blaupunkt stereo.  The only non-period items are the bee-sting aerial and clear front indicators but I reckon it looks pretty good.  Still a few little jobs to do but its very nearly there.

But the big news is that it's now not my only 126 - I've also gone and bought Worm's brown aircooled, about which more to follow.  The missus is however not impressed by my growing fleet, so the BIS may well be on the market once it's finished...

midvillesb

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:12:36 PM »
More pics...

midvillesb

• Subscriber VIP+
Re: 1990 BIS rolling restoration - back on the road again!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:15:14 PM »
Last few...

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 09:32:09 PM »
Done a grand job there, You'll have to convince your las to keep them both or they will get lonely :D
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
They are like lovebirds, need to be in pairs. (Or flocks) ;D

midvillesb

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 02:29:36 PM »
Cheeky bump to go with the for sale thread.

The only difference now from the recent pictures is that I've removed the remains of the red and white go faster stripes...

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 07:56:50 PM »
Wow, looks like a lovely car :) ;D

Well price, someone will get a bargain. good luck with the sale

skoda_norman

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 10:45:31 PM »
That looks really smart. Tempting so it is. Where did you get the clear lenses from?

midvillesb

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 08:28:16 AM »
The clear lenses were a bargain from 126fan.sk and work very well with the BIS blue I think...