Author Topic: Height issues?  (Read 3628 times)

Telstar5

Re: Height issues?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 05:02:32 PM »
Oh god did I really say thatFor £150 you will get a project, no MOT unless you are very lucky. If you really live in the sticks and don't really plan on getting your hands dirty, are you sure a Bis is for you, or even an aircooled. They will break down, thats part of the fun. A MK 2 Golf would be same price and less hassle.  :-X Oh god did I really say that :-

A Golf?  :-X Insuring a 17 year old on a Golf would be pricey. It's already expensive enough on a 126, nevermind a boy racer car.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty at all, but I'm hardly a mechanic. The best thing I've built is a drum machine controller in Design and Technology, and I got a D grade. I'd have to have a lot of luck to get a project car and then even more luck actually making it roadworthy... Hmm.

Maybe I could just save and get a nice 126 which works. :P Although the question is now, what sort of one will actually be best for countryside driving? If they break down all the time, I may have to consider finding another car. I know that the Cinquecento my mum used to have was in the garage a fair few times, but that was usually something to do with tyres and the fan. The head gasket blew once, that's when we had to get rid of it, however we do about 100 miles a day. The kind of driving I'd be doing would be 100 miles every week, just to see my girlfriend and maybe go to the pub on a Friday. Would it give me trouble for that kind of driving? And if I ever do us it to drive to school, which would put the mileage up to 50 or 60 a day, would it cause a lot of problems to the car and cost more than I would like it to?

Godspeed,
James
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.
- J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Gordan

• Subscribers
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 05:36:11 PM »
When buying a 126, the same rule usually applies as when buying any other car, the more money you spend the better the car will be. This is usually the case. I would recommend saving a little more than 150, and waiting for a good one. If you got rid of a Cinq because of a blown head gasket, dont even think of buying a BIS cos youll end up throwing it of a cliff  :D so a nice aircoled should do just fine. And its not true they break all the time. i usually get 7-8 months between breakdowns, with daily driving of 30km ...
PLEASE FOLLOW MY PROGRESS ON IG: https://www.instagram.com/fiatbis/

bis13

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 06:03:41 PM »
between may and october last year i used an aircooled 126 to drive to and from work amounting to around 70 miles a day and had no breakdowns the only problem is my polski has no sound deadening so i am now deaf, i dont know where in welshish wales you are but can say i have driven all over in your rain sodden country and can confirm the 126 is well up to the job ive even got up the llanberis pass with no probs so there you go . i would advise an aircooled model over a bis as ive been to wales in both and have memories of breaking down in a lane just under pen y fann and the garage van called out could nt get up to me as it was too narrow (the lane), and eventually got towed to buitth wells where we waited for two days for a fuel pump to come from civilisation!!  and do not buy one for 150 notes as you will get a sack of rusty bolts !! save your dosh up and 300 to 400 will get you an ok car . 

chrisrhodesinlbz

• Subscribers
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 08:28:12 PM »
 :- what about something like a Daewoo Matiz, they have been around for 10 years or so, and he oldest ones are quite cheap now and have low insurance and are economical....or a Perodua Nippa, there are often a few of them on ebay!

Gordan

• Subscribers
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 06:53:48 AM »
One thing is certain none of those cars posses the charm and charisma of a 126, and will never be a classic, not ever. with that said, it is my belief that any car within the said price range is going to have problems, and Italian fiat parts are easier/cheaper to buy than Indian or whichever other makes...
To sum up.
-save some money
-buy a air cooled 126
-wait for the right one.
-have the fun of your life
Trust me, youll love it so much you wont let your G.F. touch it, i never let any girl ddrive mine...  8)

Telstar5

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 10:31:46 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the nice responses :)

I've got finance secured for a car, I'm hoping to make it a Fiat 126. If I can find an aircooled one, I'll get one.

Thanks again for all the responses!

Godspeed,
James.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.
- J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Gordan

• Subscribers
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 04:56:37 AM »
Good luck mate  ;)

custardboy

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 09:54:22 AM »
So you know whats possible I am 6'6" /198cm and weigh 16 stone /102kg and my 126 is perfect fit!