Author Topic: Our Resto of The Clockwork Orange  (Read 12280 times)

thepuddlejumper

Our Resto of The Clockwork Orange
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:13:08 PM »
Well thats the name Fraser has given the 126.  Anyway the resto begins, we have been down to the breakers and purchaced a set of cc alloys, presently under refurb.  Fraser wants to polish rather than paint, well he is doing the work.  We have also cut out the roof and sun roof out of a seat tolido for installation. New door cards have been made, still to finalize the upholstery detail.  Electric window motors from a cc will have an influence on the shape of the door cards, anyone done this mod any advice on motor position would be welcome.  Recieved the front disc plates from Rusty today hope to fit the cc discs this weekend,  Thats about it for now, photos will be posted soon although not a lot to show. Oh The Clockwork Orange is because the 126 is to be painted in candy orange. 8)

Ralph & Fraser

thepuddlejumper

Re: Our Resto of The Clockwork Orange
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 09:06:59 PM »
A photograph of the wheels and cc discs and the ne roof with sunroof and head liner.  Will add more photographs as the work progresses.

Ralph & Fraser

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 07:36:39 AM »
 :) That is all looking good , sure it will be a great little motor. I see that you still have the flexi pipes on the calipers. When I got my first set off eBay the pistons were damaged by someone trying to leaver them out plus the dust seals were wrecked in the process. So got another set in much better nick & to strip them down for refurbishment I cut a valve etc out of an old inner tube & fixed it in the end of the flexi pipe then just put a foot pump on & with a few pumps the piston just popped out  [-/

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 09:17:55 PM »
Rusty intend to use stainless braided hoses, the calipers work fine tested them in the cc before removal although they need a good clean and paint before fitting.

Ralph

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 11:49:42 PM »
I stripped an alfa 75 milano some months back, stored a lot of bits in the shed.  Pulled out the seats to see what would need to be done to fit the 126.  Looks like they will fit with a little modification.  Angela has the sewing machine out ready to start.  The front seats fit like a glove.

Ralph

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 10:06:02 PM »
Hi all Fraser decided he didn't like the cc alloys, so down to the breakers again.  We found a sc abarth, looked in mint condition, scrapage scheme.  Fraser found a punto with what looked like new aftermarket wheel and tyres.  We did a trade the cc alloys against the two sets, I want the sc abarth wheels for my 500.  Fitted the abarth this evening and the fit ok 14" with 175x50's. The rolloing radius is about 8mm larger I think they look fantastic but Fraser prefers the aftermarket wheels.  Hope to have the wheels on for the Hopetoun House Italian Vehicle Day this Sunday.  I will post some photographs later.

Ralph
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:29:00 PM by thepuddlejumper »

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 10:24:03 PM »
Trial fitted the 14" wheels with 157x50's looks great, had to do minor panal beating to the battery box clower corner to get the drivers front to full lock.  Drove to Hopetoun House for the Pistonheads Italian car/bike meet great day out.

Eklipze3k

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 10:44:22 PM »
Ahh, good to see 175/50's works 'cos that's what's going on mine :D
What offset are those wheels?

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 06:17:19 PM »
The wheels are 6j x 14 e=38, as I said I had to do minor bashingto the lower corner of the battery tray.  I will take some photo's over the weekend to post up.

Ralph

Eklipze3k

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 08:21:05 PM »
The wheels are 6j x 14 e=38, as I said I had to do minor bashingto the lower corner of the battery tray.  I will take some photo's over the weekend to post up.

Ralph

Excellent, that exactly the same as the wheels I want to use :D

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 09:28:27 PM »
First dry day in ages therefore time to fit the disc conversion.  I had used new flexi hoses from the old vw polo to fit panda disc setup. So I adopted the same for this steup, problem the brake pipe end has a different thread, therefore had to fit new end to the existing pipe.  Tried to use plastic over the fluid reservoir to create a vacuum, not very successful.  After a soaking in brake fluid it all fitted together.  To get the disc alignment in the centre of the carrier I had to fit a 2mm shim between the addapter plate and carrier. See photographs

Ralph
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:31:13 PM by thepuddlejumper »

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 09:30:32 PM »
Two More photographs

Ralph

Eklipze3k

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 09:55:05 PM »
Mmm, with those wheels I'm thinking Punto GT discs :D

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 12:02:14 PM »
 :) That is all looking very good. What are the VW hoses like for length on the 126 ?

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 11:33:47 PM »
I have the same hoses on my gamine 500 and they are fine, not sure if the top wishbones are longer than the 500.  I have been told the transverse spring is the same length but not sure, anyway they work fine on the 500.  I will check them out at full turn and let you know.

Ralph