Author Topic: Wiring Issue When Installing New Radio/Cassette Player  (Read 274 times)

Iffy650

• Subscribers
Wiring Issue When Installing New Radio/Cassette Player
« on: September 05, 2023, 01:25:49 AM »
Reaching out for help with a strange wiring issue.
I bought a Pioneer P3650 radio/cassette player on ebay. Tested it on my work bench with the battery out of my aircooled 1989 Fiat 126. Worked fine.
Located 3 wires hanging under dash when it looks like a radio might have been fitted by previous owner but subsequently removed.
3 wires, black, yellow/black, green/red.
I connected the yellow/black & green/red wires together and connected them to the orange wire (power to radio regardless of ignition) joined with the red wire (power controlled by ignition). Connect Black (ground) to radio black wire.
Switched on radio and it worked fine but as soon as I connected the radio the front and rear side lights came on.
I have tried connecting yellow/black and green/red separately to the orange & red on the radio but couldn't get the radio to switch on (no power) even with the ignition on.
Does anyone know how to avoid this issue of the front and rear side lights coming on with radio? I could just run separate new wires to the battery and leave the yellow/black & green/red wires alone.