Author Topic: This I hadn't seen yet  (Read 2728 times)

Da Londo

• It's not the carb size that matters, it's the jet
    • Fiat 126 blog

drcdb15

Re: This I hadn't seen yet
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 07:56:47 PM »
Well the boy racer in me says, hey that engine looks UBER-kewl.... but the engineer in me says: Er, that manifold seems to have three holes going IN, and only one hole coming OUT, so... er... apart from replacing one large carburettor with three small (and expensive) ones, what does it actually DO ?? (apart from looking cool, of course)

Would the same effect not be achieved simply by using a larger jet in a single carburettor?

Whilst it's true that you'll get greater volumetric flow (more air in = greater fuel loading = greater power) from three small tubes instead of one large one of equal total cross-sectional area, the fact that for the two outer carbs you take the air flow through two 90 degree bends within a few millimetres of each other, and then try to ram the whole lot back into a single tube (the inlet port) says to me that the benefits of multiple carbs will be completely balanced by the loss caused by the convoluted air flows and the massive restriction of the single final inlet port.

In other words, a huge amount of money and engineering work to achieve the square root of bu$$er all...

Or am I mising something?

Da Londo

• It's not the carb size that matters, it's the jet
    • Fiat 126 blog
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 08:10:33 PM »
No, I think you hit it right on.

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 08:32:40 PM »
In other words, a huge amount of money and engineering work to achieve the square root of bu$$er all...

Or am I mising something?
[/quote

Definitely missing Something as surely with three carbs it would be the cube root  ;D
Of bu$$er all which would be even less benefit  :)

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 09:00:47 PM »
I could see the advantages if the triple inlet was mounted on a twinport head (panda 30 - Bis) the 2 outers would supply fuel to the 2 cylinders through smaller Ventura's as a twin carb setup, this increases low down torque while the centre carb would be the power carb supplying both cylinders opening up as the weber twin choke for power and acceleration,

But with the single port head the only thing in my mind is it look  8) 8) 8) cool
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

AvB

• Subscriber VIP+
    • Club 126UK
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 06:57:11 PM »
Damn! Looks nice but ... i agree with @drcdb15 :)

DEYAN IYI

• Bulgarian Polski FIAT 126p Fanclub
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 04:21:09 PM by DEYAN IYI »