Author Topic: She no start any more - is she just sulking?  (Read 4467 times)

franktheferret

She no start any more - is she just sulking?
« on: July 27, 2003, 06:33:02 PM »
I could do with a bit of tech help.  I have a 126 652cc with the dual-output air cored coil, with which I think both plugs fire together (lost spark).  She ran just fine when she was laid up two years ago, but I can't get her to start now, despite everything appearing to be clean and right.  The problem area I have isolated is a weak and unreliable spark.

BUT I dont know how to test the coil.  A new one is ?50, which I can't afford to buy just for fault-finding.  Can anyone tell me what resistances I should find between the various windings, as the ht winding on mine seems to be totally isolated from earth.  The Haynes manual is no help.  A friend took the coil off and cleaned it up, and charged the battery before I attempted to start her up.  I can't see that he has done anything wrong, but what do I know?
Happiness is less about having what you want than about wanting what you have.

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 10:07:37 PM »
Just checked on a spare coil most of the readings are open circuit the only reading obtainable was between the two ht connections which was 8.4 ohms.
Have you done the usual checks with points and ht leads?
The usual test I do for checking the spark is the old method remove the plugs and earth the body of the plug get someone to turn the motor over on the starter and check the spark output.
One other thought could be a problem with the resistor for the cold start for the coil?

franktheferret

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 11:32:11 PM »
Thanks Cars.  I get 8.3kohms on the ht to ht terminals, as you do, and as you say the rest are o/c.  So that seems all ok between your coil and mine.  I can't actually make any sense of the readings, from what I know about ignition systems, but if our two are the same, mine is probably ok.

I don't know if I have a cold start ballast resistor, but I will investigate.

It has just come to my mind ('cos I can't spell occurred) that since I get a good spark when I flick the points, but not when I crank the engine, it may be the condenser.  That will be easy to check when I can get back to the old girl in a couple of weeks.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the feedback.  Sometimes with a 126, you feel a bit alone, as nobody else seems to understand them.  They are also excellent for causing road-rage by virtue of their narrow track and their ability to turn on a sixpence.  I can also park in spaces the Harley owners can't.

I just love the whole character of the little beasts.  I've had cars that have been bull terriers, and cars that have been greyhounds, but this is the jack russell - all b***lls and heart.  Sorry if as a newbie I go a bit OTT, but its so good to find someone else loves them too.

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 11:08:07 AM »
Ballast resistor is situated in the front boot.I think that it is only fitted to the later model though!

Hope you get it sorted...with the nice weather around! 8)

shagmeister

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 06:28:23 AM »
hi, i have justed bought my baby back from the edge like urself.  I had the same drated problem and through my experience its ur condensor, evertime i have laid her up its gone, and this is the third time.  Happy fixing, neal

franktheferret

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 02:51:25 AM »
:D

Yesterday afternoon, I put a gallon of fresh petrol in, having replaced the capacitor, and gave her a whirl.  It took her all of fifteen seconds to fire up.  Not too bad after nearly nine months since last firing.  She still drives beautifully, albeit with slightly sticky handbrake.  MOT next week!

Thanks people.

shagmeister

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 03:12:09 PM »
Good let us know how you get on!!!  Nice to here of another air cool loose on our roads.