Author Topic: Road car or track car  (Read 1049 times)

robfiat

Road car or track car
« on: April 01, 2013, 07:59:25 PM »
Hope you can help,i carnt make my mind up if the Bis ive just bought should be a road car,or a space framed track car,i feel guilty for cutting or messing about with the floor on a really solid little car but i really like the idea off a car eating track day monster im hoping you people can help me decide  :)
He who dies with the most toys is the winner ;)1991 Bis :)
2007 Polo GTI 1.8t (my pride and joy but dont tell the 126)
And my Blitz Buggy

Hazey-n-Marc

• It's Hazey's car, she does let me fix it sometimes
Re: Road car or track car
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 09:24:19 AM »
Road car if it is that good, there are plenty of rot boxes out there but not that many solid examples. How much of the original car is needed for the track car you have in mind? Will it be a full silhouette?

Marc

robfiat

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 05:35:06 PM »
Hi yes it would be a full silhouette,with either a space frame chassis or modified floor so I can have the engine mid mounted,the only thing im finding is you carnt use a rot box,the cills have to be really good,if im honest I think it will be a road car,but maybe I may see about putting a modern engine in it like a small 3 cylinder and a disk brake conversion,i don't suppose you know anybody who could do the paint work and the little bits off bubble rust on it?  ;D
And my Blitz Buggy

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 08:19:46 PM »
I think you have to ask yourself the question, do I really need another toy that is going to sit in the garage for maybe 360 days a year?
Or have a 126 on the road, taxed and insured for around 250 quid that you can use when ever you want and be the envy of all your friends :P
You already have a quick euro box and a blitz buggy to play with at weekends ;D but how many times a year do you load up the trailer and use it?
Only you can make that decision :thumbup but as reported on here there are so many 126 projects that come up on Ebay, + you will be hard pressed to get the money/time and effort back that you have put in, where as 126's that are looked after are going up in price :yahoo:
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

robfiat

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 08:35:34 PM »
Hi Pete you've said exactly what I was thinking if im honest, thats why the Blitz is up for sale,i just don't use it enough, the 126 will be the perfect antidote to the Polo,both will be really good fun to drive and if I wont to take it further afield I can put the Fiat on the trailer,the two cars will be like chalk and cheese but both will make me smile, and its already getting lots off admiring glances and that was just bringing it home, ;D (ps had an insurance quote off £120 f/c for me and the wife  ;D)
And my Blitz Buggy

robfiat

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 08:38:39 PM »
so watch this space for a little 126 appearing on a road near you  ;) (be a bonus if its worth a few quid more than I paid for it too)
And my Blitz Buggy