Author Topic: Steering Knuckles  (Read 1612 times)

Bambino126

Steering Knuckles
« on: June 02, 2015, 10:12:41 AM »
I've just bought a pair of reconditioned steering knuckles from Ebay, but I'm finding them very stiff to turn. I've put them in a vice and tried to turn them back and forth but it takes all my strength to move them from lock to lock. Pumping grease through them makes no difference either. Now that I've fitted them to the car the steering is very heavy to turn. (Worst nearest far left and far right though).  :(

Would you expect reconditioned units to need to do some mileage before they 'loosen up'?
Or should I send them back?
Your thoughts please.

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: Steering Knuckles
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 10:32:34 AM »
I had a pair of recon items for mine and I found them tight to turn by hand. I must admit though once fitted they didnt seem tight to turn from memory? I'ld say keep pumping grease in them and turn the wheel with the car off the ground and they may wear in. It's probably been sitting on a shelf for ages and the old grease has dried up.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:15:42 PM by Gadge »
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

dadandlad

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 03:16:24 PM »
Hi
If you have pumped grease through them and they are still stiff I would send them back

I overhauled mine, new king pins and bushes and they did take a bit of sorting to get them turning freely with no play

Bambino126

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
I've done about 100 miles now and they are definitely easing up.  ;D

Took the front wheels off today and undid the track rod ends and turned each one by hand and they now turn a lot more easily than when I'd just fitted them. You can turn them with one hand now (just) whereas it took all the strength of both hands before. Still stiffer than I would like but a big improvement anyway. So I guess with some more miles under my belt they will hopefully ease up some more. I'm going to grease them every week for the first month I think while they are bedding in.