Author Topic: "Oil" ask this only once.......  (Read 6668 times)

tuned500

Re: "Oil" ask this only once.......
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 10:14:33 AM »
I just use the gaskets which come in the sets, a hard black rubber type. I have used some of the older dark brown , cork style gasket which have also been fine. Just watch when you tighten it up that you dont push the gasket out too much, just nip it up nicely.

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 05:07:02 PM »
Might be a good excuse to go for an alloy sump  [-/
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

UnaBellaDonna

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 08:49:51 PM »
I thought that too. Going to weigh it all up once I can get her in the air and take a good look. :oops:

UnaBellaDonna

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 06:49:36 PM »
FINALLY got her jacked up to take a good look. Sump wet all allround the top and gasket looks squeezed/pinched in places. Still not found enough time to drop the sump but I will. Do you guys rate the classic car oil or should I go for a standard oil when I relace the gasket?

UnaBellaDonna

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »
I realise that I have already left the impression of being an idiot but today capped the lot. Having picked up my sump gasket, I paraded home to remove the sump. As I got my axle stands from the shed I passed the box of engine bits and had a looky see. There, on the top, in a clear bag, with the word GASKETS emblazoned on it....................was a new sump gasket along with a selection of others. :oops:

Anyhoo, new gasket on and fresh oil................too early to say but no seepage and had it running. The bolts on the sump were barely tight when I removed it and I think this didn't help with the problem.

Not being a mechanic or knowing much other than brakes/oil/etc and doing the whole job myself (having only three fingers as well....yes they let a guy with only three fingers drive unmodified, manual cars) I feel I deserve one of those Karma things that you get. I don't know how or why you get them but it wouldn't half cheer me up. ;D

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 06:21:58 PM »
I don't know why but I have to tighten the sump bolts on a regular basis.  I replaced the originals with stainless screws.

Ralph

UnaBellaDonna

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 06:49:21 PM »
Karma! Boo-yah!! Thanks.

I think it is fairly common to need to tighten them from time to time, according to a couple of people I know who also have 126's. Whether it's specific to a steel sump, the screws or gasket type, who knows?

I ran mine today to check for leaks and one or two were barely more than finger tight. I worked clockwise and nipped them back up.

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 06:57:10 PM »
Another thing that can cause oil leaks on the older car like the Fiat 126 is the use of synthetic engine oil. I prefer to use a mineral type oil for any old design motors.

UnaBellaDonna

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 07:00:39 PM »
That's what I used to refill it, a "classic" type oil. People seem split over what to use but I felt this would suit the engine better.

damon500

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 11:54:59 AM »
Hi guys,
I don't know why anyone wouldn't use a synthetic oil nowadays- if the engine is properly assembled it won't leak.
Synthetics are great- I have used them in all my 500's and 126's for the last 20yrs with no oil leaks and no engine failures in that time. Bear in mind that we have 40 degree + temps down here and with long distances at 100km/h the "classic" (old fashioned) oils just really can't handle that sort of treatment. I stopped using mineral oils in the early 90's after I found that I could smell Castrol GTX cooking on a long uphill run and it just turned to water. In the colder weather the engine also warms up much faster with less choke and even the timing chains don't seem to wear as quickly.
I never understand the logic of using a cheap oil and changing it more often- doesn't protect the engine as well and is more hassle and waste- 2.5 litres of 10W60 fully synthetic once per year is cheap insurance in my book!

UnaBellaDonna

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 12:15:52 PM »
Like I say, people differ on what is best. I'd never use a cheap oil on any engine. My car will only do trips of 30-40 miles tops but mostly 10-20 miles around the countryside. I hope..... :o

124cso

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 02:35:32 PM »
I've only just seen and read /skimmed thru this thread and am amazed that no one has commented about the open flywheel ?

I understand you bought the car with a supposed rebuilt motor or had a rebuilt motor fitted ??
Well, there should be a steel shield enclosing the clutch and flywheel to stop all the poo off the road getting at it. Go and buy one now and fit it !!!!! Only takes 4 small set screws ( bolts without nuts).
Your Starter, clutch and thrust bearings will have a much longer life than if you don't.

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 05:45:44 PM »
Hmm Damon500 has a point there, never thought of that.

I know synthetic brake fluid is supposed to be alot better than mineral, higher temps it will work to etc but brain went on vacation when buying oil for the 126  :$

Alfons1972

• sorry for my bad english...
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 06:24:43 AM »
here in germany nearly nobody uses synthetic oil.
We use mineral oil and prefer 20W50.
Synthetic oil is said to keep dirt swimming and loosening old dirt because of the cleansing additives in it. That leads to the problem, that the centrifugal oil filter won't filter anything and therefore more dirt will be brought to the bearings...
Synthetic oil probably can be used in new or fully cleaned engines. In old engines with unknown history I would not use synthetic oil...

(I hope, you understand what I mean)
Fiat 500 R
Fiat 500 giardiniera

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 11:12:16 AM »
I guess synthetic is a modern oil designed for engines with modern oil filters.

Nothing wrong with your English Alfons!