Author Topic: ..and the saga continues!.. gearbox help please!  (Read 4891 times)

green-fly

..and the saga continues!.. gearbox help please!
« on: June 27, 2005, 10:40:07 PM »
Hi all,
fixed the elec prob thanks to 'Cars' help the other day, (cheers Paul also,just got your replies)  but i hadn't wired the black lead from the coil to 'earth' ..i put it back in the coil hence my lights coming on.. D'oh!

Anyway.. today i figured i'd drain out the gearbox oil as the car has been stood for so many years i'd give it some nice fresh 'blood'! and i cant get the filler plug undone! (after i'd drained the oil out) i know i should have tried first   :oops:  but there you go.. a lesson for us all if you ever think about doing yours..

its a square plug, but nowhere seemed to have a socket for it, (local fiat dealer (who'd never worked on a 126!),parts shop,mates garage,even went to a gearbox guy he gave me a 12mm socket but it was slightly too small, i think after i tried a spanner on it i started to 'round' it so i gave up on that route!

other than that there is a nut that is located near the top of the gearbox above and slightly to the right of the main drain plug, could i fill from there or is it holging something in inside? of the breather pipe, but not sure how that comes apart..

well, thanks for reading, the cars running nice now after its service (well it was this morning!)

Brett

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 11:06:34 PM »
Brett

Try a 1/2" socket reversed i.e the square side on the filler plug.
Use a bolt or something on the hexagon side of the socket. you can then either use a spanner or wrench on the bolt, to undo.

good luck
cars
 :D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:43:40 AM by ChrisRLewis »

green-fly

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 11:09:54 PM »
should the 1/2" fit Chris (i did just mail you!) it looks as though it should but i had no joy, perhaps as i said i rounded the plug slightly..   ??

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 11:34:58 PM »
1/2" is a perfect fit.
Probably the square has some burring, preventing the socket from fitting.
Try tapping the socket on very lightly, remember you have an alloy casing on the gearbox!
cars
 :D

green-fly

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 11:38:33 PM »
GOOD POINT!  so if i notice daylight through it i've tapped too hard! :wink:  

watch this space...  also sorry i'm hogging the forum! it's all me me me! just fed up i've turned simple jobs into nightmares! :cry:

slater

• http://www.retro-rides.com
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 06:36:04 AM »
Heat the casing atround the plug with a blowtorch or something, that will get it loose

You think that mite be possible without setting fire to anything? :D (never done it on a 126)

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 09:15:13 AM »
Quote from: "slater"
Heat the casing atround the plug with a blowtorch or something, that will get it loose

You think that mite be possible without setting fire to anything? :D (never done it on a 126)

The plug is right next to the driveshaft rubber gaitor so there is a good chance of damaging it if you use any heat :oops:

If the socket trick does not work you could perhaps try a short 1/2" drive extention? using the square end on the plug and a spanner on the other end...just a thought?

Cars :D

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 09:35:00 AM »
I had the same problem with mine, I finished up grinding 1/2'' extention down a little, for some reason mine was just slighly too small. I finished up damaging the plug and had to buy a new one. Good luck, I wouldn't worry about hogging the forum I thought that was what it was for, anyway we can't all sit by and watch probably the best 126 in the UK get damaged. :)

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 01:41:30 PM »
keep going, Brett. I its the same inlet plug on the BIS, i think. have you tired mole grips?, is it rusted at all? have you socke dit in wd40? Just keep going even if you do wreck it there should be plenty about. If the BIS has the same one.

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

green-fly

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 03:00:42 PM »
dajwid wrote:

anyway we can't all sit by and watch probably the best 126 in the UK get damaged.  :)

thanks mate..nice words!

I'll see how it goes tonight guys, keep you posted,
cheers
B

fiatfsm

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 04:08:51 PM »
A very common problem, I damaged mine as it was really tight too..ended up using mole grips myself...
1987 Fiat 126 FSM, alloys, clear lights, Polish tat accessories... love it!