Author Topic: Wee Jobby 1(Bella)  (Read 2770 times)

Maddog

Wee Jobby 1(Bella)
« on: June 25, 2009, 07:01:32 AM »
Not mine, but after about 4 years of me griping about it, I've finaly persuaded my friend Jamie to start the restoration of his 500, its a 71 500L purchased for £600ish and dragged home in the back of my sisters horsebox.
 When bought, it was extremely sound, requiring only outer sills and brakes sorting for an MOT and a few miles happy motoring, until problems with the front wheel bearings left it languishing in his drive, meanwhile he was granted the use of my 126, which lasted about 3 months until he shagged the gearbox and left it languishing in the drive up against the hedge.
 The 500 got bearings nicked from his other 500, which saw it back on the road for a couple of months until he knackered the box in that too, and again the poor wee thing found itself resting up against the hedge in the drive(can you see a pattern here :))

anyway, after hauling it down to his workshop, with me weaving in the style of Alberto Tomba due to the knackered steering, and with the stench of burnt brake shoes filling the air, it looked like this.

and after a couple of hours in the workshop it looked like this

not too bad, floorpans and inner sills are crusty where they meet, front nearsire inner wheelarch is holed and a hole in the outer wheelarch at the back, apart from that its remakably solid.

It will be recieving the 650 engine and box out of Wee Jobby 2 after a tart up of the cowlings etc and a full respray, original interior is VGC so will be going back in except for the crap plastic dash cover.

I'll post up some more pics when we've done some more, or should I say, I've sat on my arse and pointed at things saying stuff like, that bit next, not like that, use the bigger one :) whilst he strips down a car for the first time.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 08:18:58 PM by Maddog »

bis13

Re: Wee Jobby 1(Bella)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 08:44:21 PM »
that looks a sound 500 to be sorting out there good luck and good on you for loving it back to health!!

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 11:01:51 PM »
thats well solid!!! wont take much to get that looking nice!

much welding needed? any new panels?

Regards

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 11:24:24 PM »
It looks quite solid for a 500. Well worth doing up with proper repair panels.

Chris Lakin have you still got your 500? any progress?

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 05:37:36 PM »
Hi Chris,

yep still got it,

i paid near to a grand for mine and isnt half as solid as this one in the photos.

mines a rolling shell at mo, all stripped down, ive got all the panels was going to learn to weld and try putting them on myselkf, but have opted to save and get a professional to do them.

trying to get my brother to put some pennies towards helping me get it finished.

Its always worth getting a complete car like the above to do a resto, as much of it can be salvaged, you see loads of "unfisnished projects" on ebay.

Do you miss your 500 Chris?

Regards

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]